Bluetooth app to device / Creating a Bluetooth Device to work with WinRT

Question

• We have a client (hotel chain) that wants to deploy 25,000-30,000 WIN RT Tablets.

The condition is that they need to print and receive data from our mobile card reader & printers.
    Our current devices support SPP BT service for legacy apps. But since WP8 and RT do not support this service, its there a program (such as Apple's MFi program) or documentation where we can have access to information so that we can make the necessary changes/development to our hardware in order to support WP8/SurfaceRT?

Any ideas or suggestions would be grateful.

Regards,

Blaine

Regards, Blaine

Thursday, February 07, 2013 7:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Blaine,

Sorry for the late response. I will involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Min Zhu
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:45 AM
  • Thank you Min,

I look forward to talking with someone.

Regards, Blaine

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:16 AM
  • Hi Blaine,

Take a look at this forum answer: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winappswithcsharp/thread/d5f3b9c2-e015-491b-baf2-6b37961d7000

Hope its help.

Regards,
    Christian HL
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 5:36 AM
  • Hi Blaine,

This is an interesting scenario as the WinRT API's don't support SPP out of the box on Windows, although they do have some RFCOMM support on Windows Phone. To actually get an app talking to a device requires creating a custom driver, which can then be exposed through a bespoke WinRT extension, and this can be used in your app. The problem you will face however is getting the driver signed and deployed on to the ARM devices as this is obviously a lot more difficult that an x86 windows device.

It's a very annoying limitation to WinRT and many people are feeling the pain surrounding it - especially in the POS/Industry space.

If you need any specific advice please feel free to reach out to me on lewis@lewisbenge.net and I can try and help you from my own experiences in similar executions.

Many thanks,
    Lewis

Follow Me on Twitter: @LewisBenge Or check out my blog: http://www.lewisbenge.net

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:55 PM
  • Blaine - WinRT does support WiDi, I imagine that's the best scenario for your device at this time.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:44 PM