Verifying a Unique Device RRS feed

• Question

• User-219326596 posted
    I am looking to set up my mobile site to restrict access only to certain "devices" that are eligible to view certain pages. The idea is that I can provide content only to paying subscribers (who in-turn will only be able to access the specific content for 1 device). Say I provide a piece of content for a mobile phone, I want that content to be always accessible to the specific device. So a Form Authentication type of method would not work because it can only work on one device, and I don't want the user to be able to sign on multiple devices and keep downloading the content. I did a little research and it looks like there's no way to get the UniqueID of the device for privacy reasons, but something like this is what I would need to restrict access to the content to that specific device. If anybody has any thoughts, or can lead me in the right direction it is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
    Tuesday, October 5, 2004 7:06 AM

All replies

• User-95607119 posted
    I built up my own mobile content management system that detects device and provides appropriate content to them. Basically I binded content definition tables with device support system tables. In device support system I had table where I described all devices I knew (user-agent header, screen content area size, PDU size, etc). So, I was able to compare the content properties (wallpaper dimensions, format, file size, ringing tones channels count and file size) with device capabilities on SQL level. It takes much time to build up this kind of a system, but once you have it, you can do almost everything on it.
    Wednesday, October 6, 2004 3:51 AM
  • User-219326596 posted
    Sounds great, so you are able to detect exactly which type of phone the content is being sent to. This is definitely an important part of what I need to do, but I also need to be able to detect an actual unique device (not just a unique device type) so I don't send content to multiple same devices for one user. Some sort of unique ID for the phone would be the best for this... any thoughts?
    Thursday, October 7, 2004 2:36 AM
  • User-95607119 posted
    When using some premium rate WAP service (with special configuration) you should be able to get users MSISDN (phone number). For usual WAP gateways this header is usually turned off.
    Monday, October 11, 2004 5:17 AM