none
Kinect for Windows (1.7 SDK) using VMWare on a Mac-Mini with Windows 8 - flashing green light RRS feed

• Question

• My Mac-mini is running 10.8.4 OS

My WMWare is 5.03

I have Windows 8 installed.

I have a Kinect for Windows device and the Kinect 1.7 SDK installed in the Windows environment.

I believe that I have followed the directions found here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj663795.aspx

In VMWare, my kinect devices are connected to windows (and not the mac).

The camera, audio and motor show up as devices in my Mac USB device tree.

The camera, audio and motor show up as devices in my windows environment.

I have a green flashing light on my Kinect and when I run example apps, the status is device not connected.

I have 2 cores and 2GB of memory configured for the VirtMachine.

What am I missing?

Am I supposed to install the Kinect SDK in the MAC environment?

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 11:41 AM

Answers

• When you run one of the toolkit samples such as Kinect Explorer, is the device recognized in the list of detected devices? What is the status of the device reported? If the device is in a started state and but you are getting blank frames, there may be an issue with bandwidth or USB port compatibility in the virtualized environment.

If you were to install BootCamp on the same system, are you able to get the sensor to work?

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Friday, September 13, 2013 4:49 PM

All replies

• Which sensor do you have Kinect for Windows or the Xbox device?

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 5:09 PM
  • Kinect for Windows.
    Friday, September 13, 2013 11:42 AM
  • When you run one of the toolkit samples such as Kinect Explorer, is the device recognized in the list of detected devices? What is the status of the device reported? If the device is in a started state and but you are getting blank frames, there may be an issue with bandwidth or USB port compatibility in the virtualized environment.

If you were to install BootCamp on the same system, are you able to get the sensor to work?

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Friday, September 13, 2013 4:49 PM
  • It looks like its not reporting any device, if I understand your request correctly, I ran the toolkit browser.

I am thinking that its because the Kinect is listed under the USB Hub section on my mac-mini? I saw that it needed to be on a USB Host Controller, but I don't know if that an option in my case.

If I try the BootCamp option, should I be removing my VMWare installation and the accompanying Windows 8 install?

thanks

Monday, September 16, 2013 3:29 AM
  • As far as I know, BootCamp will be a isolated from the Mac system. As for removing the OS install, that will depend on your licensing/EULA for the product you have.  

Refer to the Apple documentation on how it works and its requirements:http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, September 16, 2013 6:01 PM