Textbox not working when adding runat="server" RRS feed

• Question

• User-542418535 posted

I am using Microsoft Visual Web developer 2010. I have Google Maps embedded on my webpage and a textbox (txtBoxInput) using the code:

<input runat="server" type="text" id="txtBoxInput"/>

A button which displays a new map loction:

<input type="button" id="btnDisplay" value="Display map" style="height:34px;width:90px;" onclick="showPoint();"/>

I also have an aspn.net button (btnTest) using the code:

<asp:Button ID="btnTest" runat="server" onclick="Button1_Click" Text="Button"/>

And the code in btnTest's event:

protected void Button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
    string test = txtBoxInput.Value = "New York, United States";
    }

When I click the button (btnTest), the textbox (txtBoxInput) gets filled with "New York, United States". I then click btnDisplay but nothing happens.

When I remove runat="server" so that the code is:

<input type="text" id="txtBoxInput"/>

It works. When runat="server" is removed, txtBoxInput isnt recognised in the asp.net btnTest event.

Is there a way to fix this? The cause must be because of the line:

<input runat="server" type="text" id="txtBoxInput"/>
    Thursday, August 29, 2013 2:38 PM

Answers

• User653228039 posted

I'm going to make a guess, since I don't really know what showPoint does.

I'm assuming showPoint grabs your textbox somehow, probably like so:

var txtBoxInput = document.getElementById("txtBoxInput");

//or with jQuery

var txtBoxInput = $("#txtBoxInput");

when you add runat="server", often times, ASP.NET prefixes that element's id with a string (something like "ctl001_") to protect the developer from themselves from accidentally giving more than one html dom element the same ID.

ClientIDMode was a property added to System.Web.UI.Control so that you can override this default behavior.  

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.ui.control.clientidmode.aspx

So if you have a textbox like so:

<asp:TextBox id="txtBoxInput" runat="server" ClientIDMode="Static"></asp:TextBox>

then it is guaranteed to have the same ID on the client, helping your javascript references.  I'm not sure if this property is available on inputs with runat="server".

Another, older technique that you could do (if your showPanel function is defined on the actual aspx page) is this:

function showPanel()
    {
       var txtBoxInput = document.getElementById('<%=txtBoxInput.ClientID%>');
       //keep going...
    }

this is because <%= is equivalent to "Response.Write()" so your server code executes first, applies the actual client ID in between the <%=%> and your javascript will see the actual id.  Again, this only works if the javascript is implemented on your aspx page (not in an external js file).

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, August 29, 2013 2:53 PM