RDC performance in Metro UI

General discussion

• Hi

As I try the Preview in a Hyper-V environnement on my server I "use" W8 though RDC/RDP.
    And at this time it seems that RDC performance for the whole Metro UI is awfull!

I can acces and work on my WHS2011 server, or a Win7 desktop with RDP7.x and it's really awesome how this work great even on a distant connection (xDSL line 15Mb/1Mb for the hosts).

For Win8 preview when I'm in desktop mode it's great as before ... but when i'm in the metro UI, ouch! Nothing can be done without hugh latency (sometime 5 or 10sec), the display refresh all the time for all the screen (Weather app is the worst, by far).

I really hope there will be some improvment for metro UI there, because if this one became the stock UI (as it's said) I think that some terminal server will have hard time to manage windows8!

• Edited by Le_Poilu Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:26 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:26 PM

All replies

• On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 15:26:04 +0000, Le_Poilu wrote:

I really hope there will be some improvment for metro UI there, because if this one became the stock UI (as it's said) I think that some terminal server will have hard time to manage windows8!

This is a developer preview, not even a beta yet. Complaining about
    performance at this stage of the game is pointless.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Futuristic:  It will only run on a next generation supercomputer.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:31 PM
  • I Know I know.. developer preview etc ... It's not really what I mean.

I'm worried about the way this UI work: Big pictures, Big Icones, fullscreen app with dynamics backgroung etc  there's nothing worst for remote acces than big pictures which need to be transfered.

Today with RDP7 when you access a remote server with an aero glass ready client you can have the full aero glass rendered on the client side, by the client. The server only send data for the render, not a whole picture of the desktop like some other third parts like VNC.

Metro UI seems to be a big step back for this case and I really don't see how it can be improve if Metro UI is the defalut/stock interface!

• Edited by Le_Poilu Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:43 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:41 PM
  • Good points. I have to assume though that some accommodation for this will be included in the new RDC next year.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:32 PM
  • I have the same setup as he has and it's worth mentioning. I'm sure the Windows team is aware of the issue, but it's better to bring it up to ensure we get confirmation of our issues and that it will be resolved. It is nearly unusable sometimes.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:54 PM