Using test-signed drivers for WHQL testing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have to get my USB driver certified by WHQL. However, i am having the following doubts:

1. As Windows 7 64-bit needs a signed driver, do i need to test sign my driver package and then use it for WHQL testing?

2. If I do test-sign my driver, how will it get resolved when submitting the driver package to Microsoft?

3. If the driver doesnt need to be test-signed for Win7, can i still perform the testing.

Thanks in advance,

rumDeep

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 12:19 PM

Answers

• 1. Test signing your driver will help you run the DTM easily/effortlessly, else u have to keep hitting F8 everytime the system restarts.

2. When u submit the pkg with test CAT file MS will replace it with the actual signed CAT file, you dont have to worry about the test signature.

3. Yes you can still test but every time the system boots u got to hit F8 and choose "Ignore driver signature enforcement" option. Trust me that's a tedious task. Test sign your driver set the OS to test mode and run DTM that's much simpler.

Karthikeyan
    • Proposed as answer by mk_cs Thursday, December 1, 2011 8:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by rumDeep Thursday, December 8, 2011 5:10 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by rumDeep Thursday, December 8, 2011 5:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by rumDeep Friday, February 10, 2012 5:52 AM
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 8:30 AM

All replies

• 1. As Windows 7 64-bit needs a signed driver, do i need to test sign my driver package and then use it for WHQL testing?

2. If I do test-sign my driver, how will it get resolved when submitting the driver package to Microsoft?

3. If the driver doesnt need to be test-signed for Win7, can i still perform the testing

1. Yes, of course. if your driver won't load, you cannot test it.

2. When you open your WHQL account, on their web site you'll find instructions how to make and sign submission packages.

3.  Why not.

-- pa

• Proposed as answer by Vikrant Bansal Wednesday, November 30, 2011 5:11 AM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 1:47 PM
  • 1. Test signing your driver will help you run the DTM easily/effortlessly, else u have to keep hitting F8 everytime the system restarts.

2. When u submit the pkg with test CAT file MS will replace it with the actual signed CAT file, you dont have to worry about the test signature.

3. Yes you can still test but every time the system boots u got to hit F8 and choose "Ignore driver signature enforcement" option. Trust me that's a tedious task. Test sign your driver set the OS to test mode and run DTM that's much simpler.

Karthikeyan
    • Proposed as answer by mk_cs Thursday, December 1, 2011 8:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by rumDeep Thursday, December 8, 2011 5:10 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by rumDeep Thursday, December 8, 2011 5:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by rumDeep Friday, February 10, 2012 5:52 AM
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 8:30 AM
  • Hi,

Can I self sign my drivers using Windows tools like "MakeCert", etc? Or do i have to apply for a test certificate from Microsoft?

And if i self-sign my drivers do i submit my self-test-signed drivers for certification or just the driver as it is?

Regards,

rumDeep

Thursday, December 8, 2011 5:13 AM
  • Test signing is used for development and debug. You have to have a Class 3 Code signing certificate, and all appropriate cross-certificates, from an authorized CA, such as VeriSign or Thawte to submit the driver to WHQL.
    Gary G. Little NanoTelesis Systems, LLC
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 2:13 PM
  • There seems to be a new free test-sign tool online here. You need a sysdev account (live.com).

Friday, May 11, 2012 9:06 PM
  • Hi runDeep,

You must buy the certificate. Makecert is for test purpose only.

Thanks.

Thursday, July 27, 2017 12:48 AM