Team Explorer stand-alone RRS feed

• Question

• Dear,

Is it possible to install the stand-alone version of Team Explorer on a machine with Visual Studio 2003 an 2005 installed? I've tried to do so, however, I did not find a "stand-alone Team Explorer" executable.

All your comments are highly appreciated!

Thanks

Bart

Thursday, July 5, 2007 3:49 PM

Answers

• The Visual Studio Team Explorer (on the TFS CD) is the client to TFS.  If you install this in a machine with Visual Studio 2005 already installed on it, it will merge the TFS client functionality into your existing Visual Studio 2005 install.  If you just have Visual Studio 2003 installed, it would create a new icon that says "Visual Studio 2005", but this would just have the Team Explorer functionality inside it.

Hope that helps,

Martin.
    Thursday, July 5, 2007 4:19 PM
  • Hi Martin,

Thanks for the info!

Does this imply that it is not possible to install the stand-alone version if VS 2005 is installed?

Thanks,

Bart

Thursday, July 5, 2007 4:33 PM
  • That is correct. Under it all they share the vs shell so that if the Team Explorer install sees the vs shell it will plug into it.

-paul

Thursday, July 5, 2007 11:17 PM
  • For VS 2003 projects, you can use the MSSCCI provider for Team Foundation Server.

See http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=87E1FFBD-A484-4C3A-8776-D560AB1E6198 for more details.

M.

Friday, July 6, 2007 12:45 PM

All replies

• The Visual Studio Team Explorer (on the TFS CD) is the client to TFS.  If you install this in a machine with Visual Studio 2005 already installed on it, it will merge the TFS client functionality into your existing Visual Studio 2005 install.  If you just have Visual Studio 2003 installed, it would create a new icon that says "Visual Studio 2005", but this would just have the Team Explorer functionality inside it.

Hope that helps,

Martin.
    Thursday, July 5, 2007 4:19 PM
  • Hi Martin,

Thanks for the info!

Does this imply that it is not possible to install the stand-alone version if VS 2005 is installed?

Thanks,

Bart

Thursday, July 5, 2007 4:33 PM
  • That is correct. Under it all they share the vs shell so that if the Team Explorer install sees the vs shell it will plug into it.

-paul

Thursday, July 5, 2007 11:17 PM
  • Thanks Paul!

I have an "old" VS 2003 C++ application that does not compile in VS 2005, yet. On my machine, I have VS 2003 and VS 2005. So, I cannot use TFS for this "old" app?

Thanks,

Bart

Friday, July 6, 2007 12:34 PM
  • For VS 2003 projects, you can use the MSSCCI provider for Team Foundation Server.

See http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=87E1FFBD-A484-4C3A-8776-D560AB1E6198 for more details.

M.

Friday, July 6, 2007 12:45 PM
  • Thank you!!

Bart

Friday, July 6, 2007 2:24 PM
  •  

As time goes by, I become more frustrated with the lack of a stand-alone UI.

At times its nice to have it inside VS, but when I have config management things to do, I invariably get frustrated with all the extra clicks that are the result of being a plug-in.

When I was using VSS (cough cough), the Explorer tool could be opened with one double-click and would take me to where I had been last time I used it.

Friday, September 7, 2007 9:06 PM
  •  

As time goes by, I become more frustrated with the lack of a stand-alone UI.

At times its nice to have it inside VS, but when I have config management things to do, I invariably get frustrated with all the extra clicks that are the result of being a plug-in.

When I was using VSS (cough cough), the Explorer tool could be opened with one double-click and would take me to where I had been last time I used it.

I agree with this bloke !

I use 2003 / 2005 / 2008,   I use the MSCCI plug in when working in 2003 which give me source code control, but I still have to open the whole of studio 2005/08  just to create new tasks ,  and dont say you could open the web page, web is horrible even ajax unles your going to write some RIA interface.

Please knock up a WPF app that allows me to do stuff with tasks like create and edit etc  instead of opening studio.

Thankyou
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 10:15 AM
  • I agree with both of these guys.  Microsoft really dropped te ball on this one.  We have a team of UI designers that use Dreamweaver.  They are not going to use Expression Web.  For them to simply get latest source files and checkin/checkout, they need to install full blown Visual Studio and Team Explorer.  Come on Microsoft, this is a very common scenerio.  You need to create a stand alone version of Team Explorer.  How hard can it be for you guys?

thank you.

Friday, June 17, 2011 10:14 PM