none
Post Windows 8 Consumer Preview Update Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I have upgraded my Samsung Build tablet from Developer Preview to Consumer Preview using the recommended procedures. I upgraded the tablet using the web install with the choice of keeping personal data (In-place upgrade).  Everything worked really well and the tablet is for the most part working as would be expected. I have two issues that I need help on though.

1. I have an "unknown device" under "Other Devices" within Device manager. I believe this to be the Motion Sensor as the tablet orientation seems to not be working and I have no orientation settings. I went to Samsung web site and downloaded the Motion sensor drivers, using Windows 7 compatibility settings the driver seemed to install with no errors but after multiple reboots there is still no tablet orientation. Is there any way to get the tablet orientation back working as it was?

2. The web installer ignored the push button reset partition and the recovery partition (100MB). It put the restore files inside the WindowsESD folder on the C: partition. When the update process ended, I deleted the windows.old directory as I needed to recover the 21GB of disk storage it was using. With the Recovery partition now useless and I am assuming the Recovery Folder is now stored inside the local directory (C:\WindowsESD ). Can the push button reset partition and the recovery partition be fixed somehow or can they be deleted someway?

i was very pleased with how most everything just upgraded and continued working, especially with a web based install. Good job Microosft!

It would be nice to fix these two issues though, thanks...

Steve

Sunday, March 4, 2012 4:17 PM

All replies

• 1. Unknown device, SM Bus can be fixed with Intel drivers on Samsung support page.

For the Sensors driver, you can't do something for get it working, just need to wait an updated driver from ST.

2. If you deleted the windows.old, why not just perform a full fresh install, downloading iso, "burn" it on a USB stick, boot from it then remove all your old partition?

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 9:15 AM
  • 1. Unknown device, SM Bus can be fixed with Intel drivers on Samsung support page.

So is this the Chipset drivers on the Samsung Series 7 slate support page?

Steve

Sunday, March 11, 2012 2:09 PM
  • Samsung has setup a website for Windows 8 Consumer Preview users on thier Samsung Series 7 Slates

http://www.samsung.com/global/windowspreview/

You might try the drivers found at this website.

Bill

Bill - Support Engineer - Microsoft CSG

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 5:29 PM
  • Has anyone managed to download the listed firmware update using the BIOSUpdate.exe file? I'm following the document "Using the Samsung Series 7 Slate Windows 8 Consumer Preview" listed on that site, but the BIOSUpdate.exe failes to actually download the update with the error message: "Cannot download", even when running in Compatibility Mode for Windows 7 as Administrator.

Thanks,

Derek.

Friday, March 30, 2012 9:33 AM