none
Where does the 'Generated Files' empty folder come from?

Question

• I'm in the process of cleaning up the Visual Studio 2015 (UWP library) projects so that the output and intermediate files are a bit more tidy. Does anyone know why there is an empty folder named 'Generated Files' that pops up next to the .vcxproj project file? I've set my Intermediate Directory to "$(ProjectDir)build\$(PlatformTarget)\$(Configuration)\$(PlatformToolset)\intermediate\" and the Output Directory to a more central location within the project folder hierarchy. This works great for my purposes but I still end up with this mysterious 'Generated Files' folder with nothing in it.

Thanks,

Rich

P.S. Not sure if this is the right forum to ask, if not please kindly point me to a better one.

• Edited by rich.e Monday, January 9, 2017 10:27 PM Clarification
    Monday, January 9, 2017 10:26 PM

Answers

• Shortly speaking, try adding a custom property sheet and define this variable: GeneratedFilesDir.

To achieve this, select from menu: View, Other Windows, Property Manager. Then right-click the node that corresponds to your project, select “Add New Project Property Sheet”, type a name and save. Then expand the nodes, right-click your new sheet (any configuration), then Properties. Select User Macros from left tree. Add a new variable named GeneratedFilesDir. Enter the desired path. Close Visual Studio saving the changes, remove the old “Generated Files” folder, and see if the new macro helps. Maybe perform some experiments with a new simple project.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 6:59 AM

All replies

• Shortly speaking, try adding a custom property sheet and define this variable: GeneratedFilesDir.

To achieve this, select from menu: View, Other Windows, Property Manager. Then right-click the node that corresponds to your project, select “Add New Project Property Sheet”, type a name and save. Then expand the nodes, right-click your new sheet (any configuration), then Properties. Select User Macros from left tree. Add a new variable named GeneratedFilesDir. Enter the desired path. Close Visual Studio saving the changes, remove the old “Generated Files” folder, and see if the new macro helps. Maybe perform some experiments with a new simple project.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 6:59 AM
  • Hi Rich,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I agreed with Viorel_'s opinion, the generated files declare the XAML UI child elements as class members so that you can reference them in the code you write. At build time, the generated code and your code are merged into a complete class definition and then compiled. For the more detail information about each file under this generated files folder, please have a look at: Create a "hello world" app in C++ (Windows 10) and search the keyword 'Generated Files' then you will find the detail information.

BTW, if you think Viorel_'s reply is helpful, please mark it as answer, that will help other community members who have the same issue to easier search it, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 9:53 AM
  • Ah great, this allows me to move the 'Generated Files' folder into the already ignored 'build' folder, so that'll work fine. Thanks Viorel_ for the tip, and thanks Sara for the background information.

Best,

Rich

Thursday, January 12, 2017 6:27 AM