none
Access Web App: How to make a drop down display items in a specific order? RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Access 2013 Web App for SharePoint 2013 and I've built a form that users enter data into. The form has a drop down menu that has several unique categories to choose from. Right now when the user clicks on the drop down it shows the categories in alphabetical order. I don't want that.

On the back end the categories are in the correct order in the Access Datasheet and each category was automatically associated with an ID #. So their order in the datasheet is 1234.. etc. Where one is associated with the category type I want displayed first and so on. The problem is that in the form they're automatically sorted into ABC order-bot following their original order in the data sheet at all.

Any thoughts or help appreciated!

• Edited by Mark510 Friday, May 6, 2016 8:59 PM typo
    Friday, May 6, 2016 8:58 PM

Answers

• Ahh... there was a small strange trick involved! If I selected the control source BEFORE the row source type, there was only the Table /Query option in the "Row Source Type" drop down.

So it seems the answer was as you both stated, but the selection of the Row Source Type must be made prior to the Control Source otherwise the option disappears (at least this was the case for me).

Thanks all!

• Marked as answer by Mark510 Wednesday, May 11, 2016 9:37 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mark510 Wednesday, May 11, 2016 9:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mark510 Wednesday, May 11, 2016 9:48 PM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 9:37 PM

All replies

• In Design Mode:

Right-click the dropdown, select Properties, select Data tab, on the Row Source you enter the select statement to order the items as you want:

SELECT categories FROM categorytable ORDER BY id;

Best regards, George

Sunday, May 8, 2016 2:37 PM
  • Hi Mark,

>> The problem is that in the form they're automatically sorted into ABC order-bot following their original order in the data sheet at all.

In Access 2013 web app, as you have experienced, the categories show in alphabetical order, and we could not custom it if you use table or query as data Row Source Type. Why you want to keep the categories in the same order within table? Normally, keeping alphabetical order will help us easily to find the string, and it will store the right id in table.

If you insist on your own order, the only way is changing Row source type to Value list, and store the right id in table.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, May 9, 2016 3:34 AM
  • Edward,

Thanks for your reply, but when I try to change the row source type there is no option presented other than "Table/Query". Any thoughts on why?

Thanks again

Monday, May 9, 2016 5:11 PM
  • Hi Mark,

How did you add this combobox? I suggest you drag and drop a combobox to this view to check whether you could find Value List for Row Source.

As the link from George, you could choose Value List for Row Source. Here is a screen shot.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 6:04 AM
  • Ahh... there was a small strange trick involved! If I selected the control source BEFORE the row source type, there was only the Table /Query option in the "Row Source Type" drop down.

So it seems the answer was as you both stated, but the selection of the Row Source Type must be made prior to the Control Source otherwise the option disappears (at least this was the case for me).

Thanks all!

• Marked as answer by Mark510 Wednesday, May 11, 2016 9:37 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mark510 Wednesday, May 11, 2016 9:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mark510 Wednesday, May 11, 2016 9:48 PM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 9:37 PM