none
How to add a topic book to a project

Question

• Hello,

I'm developing a C#, Visual Studio 2015 Pro Windows Form program.

I have installed the HTML Help Workshop with the docs folder included.

I have been studying the doc files and Google searches for two days now.  I am having a terrible time trying to create a topic heading in my help project that looks like this:  or this: .

If I use "Add/Remove Topic Files" from the Project tab or if I use File/New/Table of Contents and use "Insert a Heading" to create a new heading, then save and compile the project, when I open the compiled chm file, it does not show as a book or a folder.  It only shows an icon with a question mark in it.

Also, the instructions to "To create a new contents file" says "Before you can display a contents file in the Help Viewer, you need to add it to the help project file, and then compile the project.", but it does not explain how to add it to the project file.

Does anyone know how to use the  HTML Help Workshop to add Table of contents folder/books to a project?

Thanks,
    Tony

Stop The World, I want To Get Off! ........... Life Isn't About Waiting For The Storm To Pass ... It's About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Monday, October 03, 2016 6:47 PM

Answers

• Hi Carneno,

If you want that when we open the chm file and the navigate panel could display the contents. Please refer to the following screenshot:

1). Add file to the project:

2). Set default file:

3). Compile the project and open it from folder.

Sincerely,

Oscar

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 8:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Carneno,

>>it does not show as a book or a folder.  It only shows an icon with a question mark in it.

Please choose Contents tag, and click Insert a heading. Type the Entry title and click the Advance tag -> Choose image index.

>>how to add it to the project file

Please refer to the following screenshot to add it to the project file.

Sincerely,

Oscar

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, October 04, 2016 7:19 AM
  • Hello Oscar.

Thanks for your help.

I have completed the first part of your instruction.  When I attempt to  add it to the project file, after clicking "Add" on the "Table of Contents entry" dialog box, I have a "Project file:" dropdown list of projects in the "Path or URL" dialog box.

The problem is that the names of the project files there does not show the file name, as you can see here:

If I drop the list down, it shows a bunch of project file names, but I can't see the names of the projects. The  "Path or URL" dialog box is not expandable.

My  "Path or URL" dialog box does not look the same as yours.  It does not have the "choose your project" verbage in the "HTML titles:" box.

Thanks,
    Tony

Stop The World, I want To Get Off! ........... Life Isn't About Waiting For The Storm To Pass ... It's About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Tuesday, October 04, 2016 1:18 PM
  • Hi Carneno,

>>The problem is that the names of the project files there does not show the file name, as you can see here:

Please make sure there is a separate folder for your project, and all the project files are in it such as hhp, hhc and hhk.

>>If I drop the list down, it shows a bunch of project file names, but I can't see the names of the projects. The  "Path or URL" dialog box is not expandable

Make sure your hhp file is in the same folder. Please refer to the following screenshot:

Sincerely,

Oscar

Wednesday, October 05, 2016 1:49 AM
  • Oscar,

Thanks for your help.

>> Please make sure there is a separate folder for your project, and all the project files are in it such as hhp, hhc and hhk. <<

I have everything in an separate folder with no other files in it.

>> Make sure your hhp file is in the same folder. Please refer to the following screenshot:  <<

Yes, the .hhp file is in that directory.  I can see it in Windows Explorer.

Your example directory structure is only 35 characters, that is why it shows your .hhp file.  My directory structure is over 95 characters, there for I cannot see the file names in the "Project file" field.

If I click the "Browse" button on the bottom of the dialog box, it displays only html files.

Thanks,
    Tony

Wednesday, October 05, 2016 2:17 AM
  • Hi Carneno,

>>My directory structure is over 95 characters, there for I cannot see the file names in the "Project file" field.

I found we could not copy this file name. so we need to make sure there only one hhp file in the folder.

Sincerely,

Oscar

Wednesday, October 05, 2016 1:22 PM
  • Oscar,

Thanks for your help.

>> I found we could not copy this file name. so we need to make sure there only one hhp file in the folder. <<

How do I do that?

I created a test folder right off of the "C:\" root folder and in the "Path or URL" dialog I can see the newly created .hhp file, but the other old .hhp files still appear in the "Project file:" drop down list.

Thanks,
    Tony

Wednesday, October 05, 2016 1:48 PM
  • Hi Carneno,

I uninstalled it and install again, just as you said all old .hhp files appear in the project file. I think we could only create a new folder directly under the C: or D:. And we could see the all name in list box. Just as the following screenshot:

Or you could copy all contents to a new folder that the .hhp file name could be displayed completely.

Sincerely,

Oscar

Wednesday, October 05, 2016 2:12 PM
  • Oscar,

Thanks again for your continued help with this issue.

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to tell me.  I already did what I think you are saying and explained that in my previous post.

Even if I am able to select the correct .hhp file, I click "Add" and nothing happens.  I still see nothing in the Navigation Pane when I View Compiled file.

Are there any other set of documentation for the HTML Help Workshop?  The help that is available is not very complete.  It tells you how to add a Table of Contents, but then never explains how to add it to a project.

I am totally confused.

Thanks,
    Tony

Wednesday, October 05, 2016 2:25 PM
  • Hi Carneno,

I think we could use the following screenshot to add table of contents:

Sincerely,

Oscar

Wednesday, October 05, 2016 2:40 PM
  • Oscar,

Yes, I have the same thing, but when I compile and view the chm, there is still nothing in the navigation pane.  The navigation pane does not even appear.

There seems to be two ways to add Contents to the project.  One is to use File\New\Table of Contents.  the other is to select the "Contents" tab in the Navigation pane of the HTML Help Workshop dialog.

Both options do different things and give different screens.

No matter what I do, I cannot get the help viewer to show the folder that I am trying to add to the project.

Thanks,
    Tony

Wednesday, October 05, 2016 2:56 PM
  • Hi Carneno,

>>when I compile and view the chm, there is still nothing in the navigation pane.  The navigation pane does not even appear.

From about step to add the table of contents, the new table of contents could not be displayed in the navigation pane.

Please share me some screenshots that could indicates your issue, which could help us further troubleshot this issue.

Sincerely,

Oscar

Thursday, October 06, 2016 6:42 AM
  • Oscar,

I created a new folder right off of the "C:\" root folder called "TestHtmlHelp".

Opened HTML Help Workshop program.

Selected File\New\Project and filled in the New Project -- Destination as you can see

I did not select any of the check boxes in the New Project -- Existing Files screen.

After clicking Finish, it gave this screen:

It created the .hhp file as you can see here:

Selected File\New\Table of Contents and it gave this screen:

I clicked the folder icon(Insert a heading) in the "Untitled TOC1" window. The "Table of Contents Entry" screen appears and I fill it in as shown here:

I then click the Add button under "Entry Title".  The "Path or URL" dialog box appears and I fill it in as shown here:

If I click Add it does nothing.  If I click Browse, it expects the selection of a HTML file.  I don't click Browse.  I click Add.

I clcik OK and it goes back to the "Table of Contents Entry" screen, which looks like this:

I click OK again on the  "Table of Contents Entry" screen and it looks like this:

I clicked the "Save file" icon in the "Untitled TOC1" window. The save screen appears with "Table of Contents.hhc" populated in the file name.  I save it and the folder now looks like this:

Thursday, October 06, 2016 8:28 PM
  • Continued.............................................................

On the Project tab, I click the "Save all files and compile" icon.  It gives me a Save as screen as shown here:

I select the "Table of Contents.hhc" file and click Save.  It asks me to confirm that I overwrite the file and I clcik Yes.  It compiles and displays a log file as shown here:

I then click the icon that looks like a pair of glasses in the toolbar(View compiled file). It then gives the "View compiled file" dialog box as shown here:

I click View and it gives this screen:

You can see that it yields a "Page cannot be displayed screen" with nothing else.

Thanks,
    Tony

Thursday, October 06, 2016 8:29 PM
  • Hi Carneno,

From your screenshot, you have not selected a .hhc file in your project, so after you compiled the .hhp project and it will display nothing.

Just as my above reply, please make sure that there is a contents file in your [OPTIONS]. Please refer to the following screenshot:

Sincerely

Oscar

Friday, October 07, 2016 1:05 PM
  • Hi Carneno,

In my side, I could open the .chm without any problem:

Sincerely

Oscar

Friday, October 07, 2016 1:07 PM
  • Oscar,

>> Just as my above reply, please make sure that there is a contents file in your [OPTIONS]. Please refer to the following screenshot: <<

I did create a .hhc file.  I showed you the screenshots in my second post of screenshots that I posted.  The file is still there in my TestHtmlHelp folder.  If the HTML Help Workshop does not put it into the [OPTIONS], I can't explain that.

I created it and there were no errors telling me that it was not created.

Thanks,
    Tony

Friday, October 07, 2016 6:30 PM
  • Hi Carneno,

Please pay attention to the compile logs for .chm file, whether has some contents have been added to the .hhp project.

In my side, I have encountered the same issue as you, If I only edited the table of content (has select add to .hhp project), then compile the .hhp directly. When I open the .chm file that display nothing. So we need to add the content to the .hhp project and then compile it that we could get the expect results.

Sincerely,

Oscar

Monday, October 10, 2016 10:27 AM
  • Oscar,

Thanks for your help.

In your example here, it looks like you are adding pages to the project.  It does not look like you added a folder or book.

Thanks,
    Tony

Monday, October 10, 2016 4:05 PM
  • Hi Carneno,

Thanks for your response.

If I only edited the table of content (has select add to .hhp project), then compile the .hhp directly. I will get the following screenshot:

If I add this contents to this project, and compile it I will get the following screenshot:

After compiling the .hhp file, and open the .chm file. Please click the book or page. Then the content will be displayed in the navigate panel.

If I misunderstand your issue, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

Oscar

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 7:22 AM
  • Hi Carneno,

If you want that when we open the chm file and the navigate panel could display the contents. Please refer to the following screenshot:

1). Add file to the project:

2). Set default file:

3). Compile the project and open it from folder.

Sincerely,

Oscar

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 8:15 AM