Profiler not running correctly RRS feed

• Question

• Warning VSP2355: Some Windows counters will not be collected. Without this data, some performance rules may not fire

This message is coming from the performance window after trying to run a profiler on a wpf application. The profiler will run, but I stop it after 5-10 min and have it print display what it has. The report doesn't show any of my objects, methods, variables, info, etc. It only shows objects and data from system.

I tried these things to resolve

1. in VS tools->options->debugging->symbols and checked Microsoft symbol server and created a folder c:\symbols to cache symbols

2. right clicked on performance session and  clicked properties -> windows counter I UNCHECKED collect windows counter

neither of these seemed to help.

I still receive the message and some of my symbols didn't load as well, ones that I think my system uses or my app uses to run the app.

I read somewhere that antivirus software might be blocking the profiler from working somehow but not sure if that's true.

Win 7 enterprise 32bit, VS 2010 premium

Here are some of the failed symbols that were trying to load.

Failed to load symbols for C:\Program Files\ActivIdentity\SecureLogin\slcaptain.dll.

Failed to load symbols for C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nView\nview.dll

chuckdawit

• Edited by witdaj Friday, September 16, 2011 12:54 AM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 12:40 AM

Answers

All replies

• Check if there's any symbols in the symbols cache folder which you set.
    Since there'll be some products' symbols does not public, so it will not load into when your this profile process want them, and show you the Failed message, I think there's no need to care about that two dll symbols, if there's any .Net libraries, your assemblies symbols cannot be load into, then it should be cared.
    If you also cannot find the root cause or let it work, please show me the Output log when you Profile the WPF application, also with the Error List. You can open them by "View" list in the IDE tools bar.
    Is the Performance record's target the WPF application in Performance Explorer Window?
    What about the other Visual Studio solutions, they also let the Profile work like this? Or just this Visual Studio Solution contains this WPF applicaiton?
    Have you tried to just create a new WPF application, without any coding, then Profile it directly, what about the result?
    Have a nice weekend!

Mike [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, September 16, 2011 10:32 AM
  • I'm uncder admin mode and when trying to attach to a process I receive a message that says:

"The profiling environment is not set up correctly. use

VSPerfCLREnv.cmd is not set up env correctly."

What do I need to do to set up env variables for profiling?

chuckdawit
    • Edited by witdaj Friday, September 16, 2011 5:27 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:25 PM
  • You can use commands like this to set it:

VSPerfCLREnv /SampleOn
    VSPerfCLREnv /InteractionOn
    VSPerfCmd /Start:Sample /Output:MyApp.exe.vsp /Launch:MyApp.exe

You will need to start the managed process in the same command line Window.

But attach to a managed process is easy now in Visual Studio 2010:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/profiler/archive/2009/12/07/vs2010-attaching-the-profiler-to-a-managed-application.aspx

You will do not need to set the env, and just can attach it directly.

If there's any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best wishes,

Mike [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, September 19, 2011 2:15 AM
  • I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side.

What about this problem now?

Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestions?

Mike [MSFT]

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:07 AM
  • This file is for SecureLogin SSO - C:\Program Files\ActivIdentity\SecureLogin\slcaptain.dll. 

It gets injected through window hook when windows sso is running - might try stopping SecureLogin  to remove it as a potential problem.

Friday, November 16, 2012 8:08 PM