none
Create new list item with extension on code

Question

• Hi All, 

I have a list of projects with a field that generates a code based on the fields set

Example

Project = Building a house

Customer = Mark

Project ID = 100

Auto Generated code = HouseMark100

The trouble at the moment is if we have another piece of work to build a house for Mark. The code structure would be HouseMark100X1 (For extension 1). When I currently add a new line, as you would expect, it would go to HouseMark101. Is there a way in SharePoint workflow that will what I want. I was thinking of having a new column called extension and when the workflow is started. will create a new line with the previous code and put the X1 on the project and then add a count to the extension column so if there is another piece of work, it will put it up to x2 and so on... (If that is completely wrong I am a newbie) 

Swhitehouse

Monday, March 06, 2017 3:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Sam- you're thinking correctly. I'd have some trigger, like an extension column, defaulted to 0, then have a calculated column =Extension+1. Then have your workflow set a field's value to code + X + calculated column.

cameron rautmann

Monday, March 06, 2017 8:44 PM
  • Hi Sam Whitehouse,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 9:17 AM