Simulator does not copy correct size after changing orientation

Question

• I have an app for which I am creating the screenshots for the Windows Store. Some of the screenshots are landscape, and others are portrait (I want to show what it looks like in both orientations). If I take the screenshot before changing the orientation, it copies the correct size, but once I have changed the orientation one or more times (even if I change it back to the original orientation), it copies the wrong size. For example, here are the steps & results that I got:

1. Start simulator

2. Copy screenshot: Gives me 1366x768 as expected

3. Rotate clockwise

4. Copy screenshot: Gives me 1152x2049 when I expected 768x1366

5. Rotate counterclockwise

6. Copy screenshot: Gives me 2049x1152

Some of the things I noticed were:

1.The unexpected sizes only happened AFTER the simulator had been rotated, not before

2. The unexpected sizes are a 1.5 scale ratio to the expected ones

3. If I paste the unexpected sizes into Paint (or any other image editor), the content is not the expected image scaled by 1.5, it is the expected image with extra black space on the right and bottom

I suppose since the content is padded rather than scaled I could just crop it and then use it for my screenshots, but why is the simulator suddenly giving incorrect dimensions when getting a screenshot? I don't remember it ever doing this before. Is it a bug from updating to Visual Studio 2013, or is there something I can do to fix it? Thanks.

Nathan Sokalski njsokalski@hotmail.com http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Monday, December 02, 2013 2:04 AM

Answers

• Hi, Nathan

I cannot reproduce your problem. In my computer I can get correct screenshots size whenever rotate clockwise or not. The screenshots size only changed when I changed resolution in simulator. You can go to the link below to post your problem:

https://connect.microsoft.com/

Best Wishes!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey. Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, December 03, 2013 6:03 AM

All replies

• Hi, Nathan

I cannot reproduce your problem. In my computer I can get correct screenshots size whenever rotate clockwise or not. The screenshots size only changed when I changed resolution in simulator. You can go to the link below to post your problem:

https://connect.microsoft.com/

Best Wishes!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey. Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, December 03, 2013 6:03 AM
  • I've seen this behavior as well when taking screenshots with the Windows 8 simulator.  I'd love to find a fix.

Visual Studio 2013 / Windows 8.1

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 3:25 AM