Interactive reporting RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We have a task to migrate an application from Oracle APEX platform to Microsoft.

Now, this application is very simple, but, there is one tiny thing that APEX has as a Built-in feature, and we can't find this feature anywhere in Microsoft technology - Interactive reporting.

In APEX they have these nice and intuitive features for Show/Hide Columns, Create Chart from Data grid, Highlight rows by some criteria, Add computed column, Filter, Group and Aggregate data, etc... And all this you can Save as a personal or public report for later reference. Technology is completely Web oriented, so the client doesn't need anything (except Browser) to run this.

Some of these features can be found in Excel, but how can we use Excel sheets in Web Application, or show in Excel something that is the product of data source created in runtime (user set input parameters and receives data)? Power Pivot could be a solution, but still we would have to use static Data Sources and static Report layouts and there is no saving customly created Report definitions. Current MS Report Builder is still something that is usable only by programmers, and not Business users.

Does anybody knows what kind of MS Interactive Reporting technology could be used? Is Microsoft planing to release this kind of tool or Web control?

Cheers,

Milan

Thursday, October 17, 2013 7:33 AM

All replies

• This is such an important question, and I wish someone from Microsoft could provide an answer.  I am concerned that Reporting Services is not being significantly enhanced.  I am frustrated that our company is looking at other tools that provide interactivity.  Reports should have the capability to perform real actionable tasks (other than just launching a URL or opening another report).  Power View is not going to cut it for us.

Thank you.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:45 PM