none
[U8.1] Windows.ApplicationModel.Email.EmailMessage?

Question

• My understanding is that Windows.ApplicationModel.Email.EmailMessage is not supported for U8.1.  Could anyone confirm this?

If this is true, how can an app open an email client with the recipient specified.  I know using share is the preferred way of sending emails.  With share, how can an app fill the recipient field for users so that they do not have to remember and type the email address?  The email has an attached file.

Hong

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 4:03 PM

Answers

• Check the Version section at the bottom of the Windows.ApplicationModel.Email.EmailMessage documentation page.

It is available for Windows Phone 8.1 Runtime apps but not for Windows 8.1 Runtime apps ("Windows Store apps"). There is no explicit email API for Windows Store apps. Several options are:

• Sharing contract and let the users decide if they want email or some other means
    • mailto: link (but no attachments in most mail clients)
    • Connect directly to the mail service (via web service, IMAP, EAS, etc.)
    • Connect to a custom web service rather than going through mail

Windows.ApplicationMode.Email is in the Universal API contract for Universal Windows apps for Windows 10 and later.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 4:37 PM

All replies

• Check the Version section at the bottom of the Windows.ApplicationModel.Email.EmailMessage documentation page.

It is available for Windows Phone 8.1 Runtime apps but not for Windows 8.1 Runtime apps ("Windows Store apps"). There is no explicit email API for Windows Store apps. Several options are:

• Sharing contract and let the users decide if they want email or some other means
    • mailto: link (but no attachments in most mail clients)
    • Connect directly to the mail service (via web service, IMAP, EAS, etc.)
    • Connect to a custom web service rather than going through mail

Windows.ApplicationMode.Email is in the Universal API contract for Universal Windows apps for Windows 10 and later.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 4:37 PM
  • Thanks a lot for the exhaustive elaboration on this topic. It is all clear now.

I thought about a custom web service, but I want to give users the maximum transparency regarding what and how they are sending, and allow them to have a copy, also the chance to change the recipient easily and conveniently.  The old email way would be ideal. 

Hong

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 4:45 PM