Windows RT extensions and Cross Platform support

Question

• What are the guidelines for ensuring my custom Windows RT extensions are cross platform compatible? Any examples or talks?

Or by definition Win RT extension is Cross Platform compliant? All we need to do is a recompile? If recompile is required how am I supposed to package my app for market place?

Can someone point me to any documentation or talks?

Thanks

PB

Monday, October 3, 2011 5:17 PM

All replies

• WinRT is not cross platform - it is one of the platforms supported in Windows 8.

Your platform-independent code would probably still work (that is, after recompiling for x86/x64/ARM). You need to rewrite platform-dependant code. For example, if your existing code uses GDI, you need to extract the presentation layer and port your code to Direct 2D/XAML. If you have Direct 3D code, you only need to make sure your code runs on Direct 3D 11. So it depends a lot on what technology you are using and how modular your code is.

There is a list of supported APIs for WinRT at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh464945(v=vs.85).aspx

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, October 3, 2011 6:23 PM
  • Thanks Sheng, so as long as one uses WinRT APIs just a recompile would work.

Any info on packaging APP for different platforms?

All I found was 'Properties->Platform Target' in my Managed Application and 'Properties->Configuration Properties->Linker->Advanced->Target Machine' in my Unmanaged application. Nothing in the 'Manifest files'.

Thanks

PB

Monday, October 3, 2011 6:41 PM
  • There have been some unsubstantiated and thus unofficial online rumors of a packaging that allows multiple binaries (example: x86 and ARM). That way you don’t have to submit multiple versions to the App-Store just to support different platforms. Obviously there haven’t been too much official response about this so far – maybe it’s too early in the dev cycle for that. I’d wait for beta before formulating any deployment ideas/plans.

http://blog.voidnish.com
    Monday, October 3, 2011 6:45 PM
  • Packaging multiple binaries makes sense, otherwise end users get too confused. People just want to download an App from marketplace and play with it, they may not be interested to check is it ARM based vs x86 based etc.

Will wait for official announcements, thanks for your comments Nishant.

PB

Monday, October 3, 2011 7:05 PM