none
System.Globalization.CultureNotFoundException: Culture is not supported. RRS feed

• General discussion

• Due to my previous laptop (Windows 7) was broken, so I have purchased a new laptop with Windows 8 installed.

Just found that, when I tried to use an application, it prompted the following error message. However, this application I was used to use in my previous Win 7 laptop without any problem. Since I have no idea for what causing this problem, and definitely no idea on how to resolve it.

Very much appreciated for any one of the professional can help me out of this problem urgently. Thanks!

Below are the error message that I copied from my new laptop.

Server Error in '/' Application.

Culture is not supported.
    Parameter name: name
    zh-Hant-HK is an
    invalid culture identifier.

Description:
    An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web
    request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and
    where it originated in the code.

Exception Details:
    System.Globalization.CultureNotFoundException: Culture is not
    supported.
    zh-Hant-HK is an invalid culture
    identifier.

Source Error:
    An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the
    current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the
    exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:
    [CultureNotFoundException: Culture is not supported.
    zh-Hant-HK is an invalid culture identifier.]
       System.Globalization.CultureInfo..ctor(String name, Boolean useUserOverride) +9358573
       ASP.global_asax.Session_Start(Object sender, EventArgs e) +455
       System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.RaiseOnStart(EventArgs e) +9026339
       System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.CompleteAcquireState() +148
       System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.BeginAcquireState(Object source, EventArgs e, AsyncCallback cb, Object extraData) +561
       System.Web.AsyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +96
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +184

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET
    Version:4.0.30319.272
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 8:42 AM

All replies

• Looking at this link, it seems that you need to change the culture to one of the following chinese cultures

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.globalization.cultureinfo.createspecificculture.aspx

//    zh           Chinese                                 zh-CN
    //    zh-CHS       Chinese (Simplified) Legacy             zh-CN
    //    zh-CHT       Chinese (Traditional) Legacy            zh-HK
    //    zh-Hans      Chinese (Simplified)                    zh-CN
    //    zh-Hant      Chinese (Traditional)                   zh-HK

To set the cutlure, look at this link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bz9tc508(v=vs.85).aspx

Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:39 AM
  • Thanks for your prompt response.

However, I'm just a user and the OS of my laptop is Windows 8. After read those contents, it seems require a professional programer to do the changes. Very much appreciated if you can help me to figure out a very simple way to make this changes, thanks!

BTW, since I'm using both Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese UI for my daily work, the above error is pop-up while I'm using Traditional Chinese interface, but when I switch it to Simplified Chinese interface, the error message basically the same, just have the below difference.

zh-Hant-CN is an
    invalid culture identifier

Look forward to hear from you soon. Thanks!

Friday, April 12, 2013 4:44 AM
  • Hi,

Since you are an user of the application, you need not worry about the exception details. Just forward the error description to the application vendor/owner, who knows better to resolve the issue.

I hope this helps.

Please mark this post as answer if it solved your problem. Happy Programming!

Friday, April 12, 2013 6:14 AM