Failed to Set Credentials with error: 'Publishing username is already used. Specify a different publishing username. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm trying to set up Git Publishing on my Azure Web site.

I didn't succed and tried to reset my git publishing credentials. This fails every time with this message

"Failed to Set Credentials with error: 'Publishing username is already used. Specify a different publishing username."

I then deleted the git repository under the web site in azure and tried to recreate it. I'm again asked for a username and password twice. This fails with exactly the same message.

Trying to use the the link "Publish your app" -> "Set up deployment credentials" under the website fails the same way.

I've tried using different usernames and passwords. I even tried deleting and recreating the website under a different name. Nothing works. What is going on here? This seems to be very basic functionality that should just work.

/Patrik

Saturday, January 11, 2014 1:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I try to reproduce your issue, follow up with the tutorial (http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/documentation/articles/web-sites-publish-source-control/), as the steps, Install Git->Create a local repository->Add a web page->Enable the web site repository->Deploy project. I reset my credentials as the following screenshot, and all thing goes well.

Hope this helps, if I misunderstand, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    >>"Failed to Set Credentials with error: 'Publishing username is already used. Specify a different publishing username."
    From my experience, we can try to reset the credentials. Refer to http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kaushal/archive/2013/05/29/windows-azure-web-sites-reset-deployment-credentials-v-s-reset-publish-profile-credentials.aspx for more details. If this didn't give you help, please feel free to let me know.

Regards

Monday, January 13, 2014 7:55 AM
  • Hi Jaydonli,

Thanks for your feedback, but as I wrote above trying to reset my credentials doesn't work. It fails with the same error message. The same goes for deleting and recreating.

/Patrik

Saturday, January 18, 2014 5:29 PM
  • Hi,

I try to reproduce your issue, follow up with the tutorial (http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/documentation/articles/web-sites-publish-source-control/), as the steps, Install Git->Create a local repository->Add a web page->Enable the web site repository->Deploy project. I reset my credentials as the following screenshot, and all thing goes well.

Hope this helps, if I misunderstand, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:35 AM
  • Hi Patrik,

This message actually states the problem, although it might seem weird. The name you type in when settings the credentials has to be unique across Azure. If another user has already taken the username, you will receive the error. To get around it, you'll need to find a unique name that hasn't been used before. One note to add to this is that you yourself can use the same name on all your sites...but not someone else.

Good luck!

Erez Benari

Microsoft Azure

• Edited by Erez Benari Wednesday, April 30, 2014 11:36 PM
    Wednesday, April 30, 2014 11:31 PM