none
Is it possible to have a word doc, with one background color to some point, THEN after that point a different color. RRS feed

• Question

• what I am trying to find out if possible is this.

I create a lot of documents (for me ) where it I have a the working document, AND various notes, ideas, tasks listed also.

Problem is from time to time, I start adding text in the "Notes" section instead of the "doc" section.

And it can be a pain to make sure to get all of the "answer" from notes section and in the "doc" section.

one author mentioned what he did With Microsoft Word was have two sets of fonts, colors, one for each PART of word document.

with a very different background for "Notes" or "Final doc"  "Section" of word file. 

The "Final Doc" section is the part word doc that would be the part to be published.

I wonder if the way to do this would be to Create two sets of paragraph styles one set for paragraph and header1 styles in "Final Doc" and in "Notes"

and apply the style?

I did get lots of links to helpful info about styles and templates, BUT I couldn't find info about this.

any help can you can give will help

Mark J

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 8:13 AM

Answers

• Hi PuzzledByWord,

I try to search regarding changing the color of sections but I did not get anything useful.

so here I think you can try to apply the background color on paragraphs.

that can help you to understand the difference between 2 sections.

we can't set the background color like you want to set.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by PuzzledByWord Thursday, February 9, 2017 10:20 AM
    Monday, February 6, 2017 8:39 AM

All replies

• Hi PuzzledByWord,

From your description all I understand that you want to apply the different colors for Notes and Final doc section.

do you want to perform this operation by Word User Interface or by VBA code?

you did not mentioned that.

please clear this and if possible try to post the picture of your desired output.

so that we can try to find the solution and try to provide you.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 2, 2017 2:57 AM
  • Deepak,

1. yes I want to apply different colors for Notes Section at the end of the doc. And The Final doc Section.

2. I was not even sure I COULD HAVE it look like Notes section looking like printed on one color of paper sheets WHILE Final section looked to be printed on a different colored paper sheets.

3. would prefer to do by VBA code so I could set this up every time I start up a new doc this way

If I understand it.  If the background color of page is stored in the paragraph mark.  then I would be using paragraph formatting.  and be real easy to extend one section or the others formatting.

Mark J

Friday, February 3, 2017 1:32 PM
  • Hi PuzzledByWord,

I try to search regarding changing the color of sections but I did not get anything useful.

so here I think you can try to apply the background color on paragraphs.

that can help you to understand the difference between 2 sections.

we can't set the background color like you want to set.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by PuzzledByWord Thursday, February 9, 2017 10:20 AM
    Monday, February 6, 2017 8:39 AM
  • Deepak Panchal10,

Thanks your help, it did help me solve this.

First could not find any info. BUT with your info about Paragraph formatting was the info I needed.

I opened a word doc, added a page break. Added a few carriage returns to get paragraph marks.

All I could do was use “Styles” on the paragraph marks.

Word did color the text based on values in theme I was using.

But word treated all as a cell in a table.  Good for a list, not so good for writing prose.  Word Opened the Design Tab for Tables.

Then I tried the "format inspector", Noticed “Shading” listed in inspector. That was the second needed bit. Then I did the below.

First I added a page break. To get two sections.

Then Page Layout Tab then little arrow at bottom that gets me to Page Setup window Then the Layout Tab then clicked on Borders Then clicked on Shading Tab then click on Fill to get a Color of “background”.

I selected a pair of lines of text then did the above.

It worked, if in a section having a “Fill” color, pressing “Enter” added fill to cover what I typed.

I did not change any settings in the various tabs other than what I stated. I did wonder on some of the settings of dropdown boxes referred to whole document. BUT I did not change that setting either. 

Mark J

Mark J

Thursday, February 9, 2017 10:46 AM