Using VB.net to call VBA functions in MS Project 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all I am back again.

I am required to develop an app that can loop through all the task in the grant chart and timescaledata. The problem with doing loops via PIA is that it will be very very slow due to communication via multiple layers.

So the next best solution I can think up is to write VBA functions to perform the work in MS Project and then call the functions via VB.net as needed.

Is that viable? Is it a good or bad idea? Or are there any better ideas to this problem?

Thank you in advance

Thursday, November 1, 2012 2:55 PM

Answers

• Certainly there could be lots of looping but you are doing it correctly and in the best way that I know of.

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Friday, November 2, 2012 5:41 PM

All replies

• Can you be a little more specific? Are you trying to develop an Add-In? A web application? An Event Handler?

If you are developing an app that will run in the client, I believe VB.NET is a lot faster to run than VBA.

Best regards,

Rene Alvarez

Rene Alvarez

Friday, November 2, 2012 3:47 PM
  • Hi I am trying to develop an App that will automatically insert user data from the spread sheet into MS project. It will have to loop through the timescaledata to produce charts that the visual report can't produce.So there will be a lot of looping.

The reason why I want to use .net as a priority is because it is easier to maintain.

Friday, November 2, 2012 5:26 PM
  • Certainly there could be lots of looping but you are doing it correctly and in the best way that I know of.

Friday, November 2, 2012 5:41 PM

Thank you so much! Will proceed with that plan.
    Saturday, November 3, 2012 2:14 PM