Display driver not available? (nVidia 8600GT)

Question

• Installed the developer preview on my only computer (which is why I really want to fix this), which is a 64 bit Asus laptop with a nVidia 8600GT that doesn't seem to be recognized by either the install or Windows Update. Strangely, the Device Manager doesn't show a "Display" category, but going through the "Change your resolution" dialog on the desktop shows that the display driver used is a "Microsoft Basic Display Driver".

I've tried every driver I could find, but no luck. The installs tell me no compatible hardware is found, and attempting to update the driver manually gives an error that the driver may not be x64 (which it is).

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

Friday, September 16, 2011 1:37 AM

Answers

• SOLVED!

If like me, you can't see the "Display Adapter" category in the device manager, go to your laptop manufacturer's website and download and flash the latest BIOS update for your device. With Windows 8, the BIOS wasn't recognizing the PCIe port properly it seems, which was causing all the problems. 

Flashed the BIOS, ran the latest NVIDIA beta drivers, and voilà!! everything works. Thanks for all your help guys, and I hope this helps out someone else as well.

• Marked as answer by arrow22 Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:09 AM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:09 AM

All replies

• This is a developer preview, means the driver developer get this build as soon as you do. Wait until nVidia release a driver for Windows 8.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, September 16, 2011 2:22 AM
  • +1 for this problem - my 8600M GT is unlisted  in the device manager, though a few generic "Base System Devices" are. If I stumble across a solution I'll let you know!
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 5:50 AM
  • I was able to install the vista drivers for the NVDIA Geforce 7200 on my HP Pavilion DV2000 laptop. Graphics rendering is a lot better now in Metro.
    • Proposed as answer by kookak Sunday, September 18, 2011 2:47 AM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:57 AM
  • My laptop has a nVidia 8600M GT graphics card in it, and I simply installed the latest beta version (285.27) and it worked flawlessly.
    • Edited by Steven Downer Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:47 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Robert MacLean Saturday, September 17, 2011 8:35 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by arrow22 Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:00 PM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:08 AM
  • Just tried the latest beta (285.27) and get the following error during the compatibility test:

"This NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows. This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware."

Thank you Ratmuffin, please update us if you find a solution. 

Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:45 AM
  • @kookak, did you install through the NVIDIA installer? and are you running 32bit Win 8 or 64? Thanks!

Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:15 AM
  • SOLVED!

If like me, you can't see the "Display Adapter" category in the device manager, go to your laptop manufacturer's website and download and flash the latest BIOS update for your device. With Windows 8, the BIOS wasn't recognizing the PCIe port properly it seems, which was causing all the problems. 

Flashed the BIOS, ran the latest NVIDIA beta drivers, and voilà!! everything works. Thanks for all your help guys, and I hope this helps out someone else as well.

• Marked as answer by arrow22 Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:09 AM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:09 AM
  • my bios is latest but no luck with my 9200m gs graphics card
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 11:20 AM
  • I just used the Vista drivers for my laptop and the NVDIA drivers was installed with no problem. Running 32-bit version...
    HP Pavillion DV2000 Entertainment PC, Centrino DUO Core, 2.5G ram, 80G hard drive running Windows 8 Developer Preview
    • Edited by kookak Monday, September 26, 2011 1:26 PM
    Monday, September 26, 2011 1:22 PM
  • Hi Arrow22,

where are NVIDIA Beta drivers, where i can download them from?

many thanks

Friday, December 30, 2011 8:05 PM