Import data into MDS 2012 from an Excel workbook RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've seen that SQL Server 2012 delivers a new MDS add-in for Excel. Is it possible to import data from an Excel workbook into a MDS database, without running a staging task? Or for the data import do I have the unique choice to feed the MDS staging tables?

It could be interesting to create inside the MDS web application the model and the entity, and then feed the data entity inside Excel by using the MDS add-in.

Thanks

Sunday, March 11, 2012 8:42 AM

Answers

• Ok, thanks, I've solved!

Inside the MDS web applicatio, I've created a new model, a new entity in this model, and some attributes for this entity (code and name are mandatory attributes).

After the MDS add-in for Excel installation, in an Excel workbook I've created a MDS connection and I've selected my model and my entity, loaded into a sheet. I've pasted in this sheet the attribute values copied from another workbook, mantaining the attribute correspondence between the sheet with the master data and the sheet with the loading data. Then, I've published the new members for my entity.

So, there is an alternative way to feed master data without implementing a staging step by using the MDS staging tables.

Thanks for your attention.

Bye

• Marked as answer by Challen Fu Monday, March 19, 2012 9:42 AM
    Sunday, March 11, 2012 5:51 PM