none
export to excel or word saves blank document RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

When users attempt to export from reportviewer to word or excel, a blank document is opened/saved.  If the user is the admin, it works ok, but all other users get a blank document.  I'm wondering if it's a permissions issue on the web server.  I've tried giving myself full access to the temp directory, but it's no good.  Does anyone know what directory I need to give write permissions to? 

Thanks,

Vincent

Friday, February 24, 2012 5:45 PM

Answers

• The web server was making a new user for the process (temp.domainName.001) and was using the temp folder inside this user to process the excel or word doc.  I added Authenticated Users to the temp directory with Full permissions.

vincent gould

• Marked as answer by zvgould191 Thursday, March 1, 2012 7:14 PM
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 7:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Vincent,

are you working with Desktop Application or Web Application ?

user can save exported document in their local directory or their desktop. user has full permission to save document in their Document directory.

Regards

Jiya

Sunday, February 26, 2012 7:12 AM
  • It's a web application (SharePoint).  Yes, the user should be able to save to their document folder, but when you open or save an excel or word doc the file in blank (0 kb).
    Monday, February 27, 2012 7:28 PM
  • The web server was making a new user for the process (temp.domainName.001) and was using the temp folder inside this user to process the excel or word doc.  I added Authenticated Users to the temp directory with Full permissions.

vincent gould

• Marked as answer by zvgould191 Thursday, March 1, 2012 7:14 PM
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 7:13 PM