Non-yielding Resource Monitor - Issue on PROD server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

My PROD server frequently restarting after generating below dump.

Pls help me to resolve the issues

=====================================================================                                           
           BugCheck Dump                                                                                            
    =====================================================================                                           

This file is generated by Microsoft SQL Server                                                                  
    version 9.00.5000.00                                                                                            
    upon detection of fatal unexpected error. Please return this file,                                              
    the query or program that produced the bugcheck, the database and                                               
    the error log, and any other pertinent information with a Service Request.                                      

Computer type is AT/AT COMPATIBLE.                                                                              
    Current time is 11:33:40 01/23/12.                                                                              
    8 Unknown CPU 9., 3 Mhz processor (s).                                                                          
    Windows NT 5.2 Build 3790 CSD Service Pack 2.                                                                   

Memory                              
    MemoryLoad = 99%                    
    Total Physical = 65533 MB           
    Available Physical = 505 MB         
    Total Page File = 121256 MB         
    Available Page File = 46 MB         
    Total Virtual = 8388607 MB          
    Available Virtual = 8321060 MB      
    **Dump thread - spid = 0, PSS = 0x0000000000000000, EC = 0x0000000000000000                                     
    ***Stack Dump being sent to E:\MSSQL2K5\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\SQLDump0111.txt                                       
    * *******************************************************************************                               
    *                                                                                                               
    * BEGIN STACK DUMP:                                                                                             
    *   01/23/12 11:33:40 spid 0                                                                                    
    *                                                                                                               
    * Non-yielding Resource Monitor                                                                                 
    *                                                                                                               
    * *******************************************************************************                               
    * -------------------------------------------------------------------------------                               
    * Short Stack Dump                  

Monday, January 23, 2012 7:08 PM

Answers

• I have worked on these kinds of dumps, I have seen many times the issue occurs because of not setting max server memory for SQL server especially in 64 bit SQL servers.

Apparently, from the dump signature output it seems that the system is under heavy memory pressure.

Could you please make sure you have set the max server memory correctly and if after that you see the same issue, then please let me know?

Kind regards| Harsh Chawla | Personal Blog:- SQL-blogs
    |Team Blog:- Team Blog
    • Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Olaf HelperMVP Friday, June 5, 2015 4:51 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 8:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Sivakumar,

The above is NOT enough information to go by and give you feedback. You may have to upload SQLDumpxxx.log,  SQLDumpxxx.mdmp, SQLDumpxxx.txt files somewhere and share the link here. For some errors such as the above Non-yielding resource monitor errors, most of the times you may have to contact CSS to identify the root cause of the problem unless one of the engineers have time to look at these issues on their free time and volition to help.

Sankar Reddy

Blog: http://SankarReddy.com/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/SankarReddy13/
    Monday, January 23, 2012 11:51 PM
  • I have worked on these kinds of dumps, I have seen many times the issue occurs because of not setting max server memory for SQL server especially in 64 bit SQL servers.

Apparently, from the dump signature output it seems that the system is under heavy memory pressure.

Could you please make sure you have set the max server memory correctly and if after that you see the same issue, then please let me know?

Kind regards| Harsh Chawla | Personal Blog:- SQL-blogs
    |Team Blog:- Team Blog
    • Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Olaf HelperMVP Friday, June 5, 2015 4:51 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 8:57 AM
  • Hi Harsh Chawla,

Please find the memory setting of my Server.

These server is running on 64bi.

Installed Memory 64 GB

Min - 3000 MB

Max Memory - 60000 MB

Let me know any changes required to resolve the issue.

Regards,

Siva

Sunday, January 29, 2012 9:01 AM
  • Hi, everyone.

Do you have a solution for the mentioned problem? My dump looks like the dump in the first message. Server that runs ms sql server instance stops responding to any input, and I should reboot it. And yes I have MAX memory for the sql server set to 49152                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

My dump:

This file is generated by Microsoft SQL Server                                                                   
    version 11.0.3128.0                                                                                              
    upon detection of fatal unexpected error. Please return this file,                                               
    the query or program that produced the bugcheck, the database and                                                
    the error log, and any other pertinent information with a Service Request.                                       

Computer type is Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X5650  @ 2.67GHz.                                                
    Bios Version is INTEL  - 0                                                                                       
    BIOS Date: 09/30/09 12:52:30 Ver: 08.00.10                                                                       
    24 X64 level 8664, 2 Mhz processor (s).                                                                          
    Windows NT 6.2 Build 9200 CSD .                                                                                  

Memory                               
    MemoryLoad = 99%                     
    Total Physical = 73663 MB            
    Available Physical = 63 MB           
    Total Page File = 137151 MB          
    Available Page File = 61709 MB       
    Total Virtual = 8388607 MB           
    Available Virtual = 8302677 MB       
    **Dump thread - spid = 0, EC = 0x0000000000000000                                                                
    ***Stack Dump being sent to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\LOG\SQLDump0023.txt  
    *                                                                                                                
    * BEGIN STACK DUMP:                                                                                              
    *   03/16/15 00:05:40 spid 844                                                                                   
    *                                                                                                                
    * Non-yielding Resource Monitor                                                                                  
    *                                                                                                                
    * -------------------------------------------------------------------------------                                
    * Short Stack Dump    

Thanks!

• Edited by SerejkaVS Monday, March 16, 2015 10:39 AM
    Monday, March 16, 2015 10:38 AM
  • In my case the problem was resolved after replacement of the hard drive that was used for backup.

Thanks

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 1:54 PM