Start Orchestration, self-correlating and passing Messages RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

Referencing step 3 in

How to Create Receive Subscriptions at Invoked Orchestrations

(https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa995547.aspx). 

Is it possible to pass an update message to a 'start Orchestration' that was started using self-correlation? When I read - You can now safely send messages from the caller orchestration to the invoked orchestration, and the invoked orchestration will receive the messages based upon the correlation. - I picture sending an update using the self correlated message.

When I set up a send port in the calling orchestration, I receive a 'illegal direct binding partner port' compile error.

If it is possible, kindly send details on how to achieve.

Thank you, Bruce

Thursday, September 29, 2016 9:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Bruce,

The only thing unique with start orchestration is its asynchronous way of trigger, can you elaborate more on what to you mean by update operation, I think a sub orchestration started  using the start orchestration shape can do everything a parent orchestration can do and there cannot be any return parameter to the parent orchestration.

What is your requirement if you need the response back to the parent orchestration you shall use a call orchestration shape. LInk2

Or

there is little different pattern discussed here.

Orchestration To Orchestration Call Via Direct Bound Ports For A Synchronous Process

Also for the error you received check this page

Regards Pushpendra Singh : Please mark the reply as answer or vote it up, as deemed fit.

• Edited by Pushpendra K Singh Friday, September 30, 2016 12:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by BruceSAP Friday, September 30, 2016 2:22 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2016 11:45 PM
  • Thank you for the reply Pushpendra.

I think I have a conceptual error on the use case for a 'start orchestration with self correlated'. 

What I thought I could do was start a child orchestration and send status updated from the parent to the child. After re-reading the document mentioned in original post, I now believe the line 'You can now safely send messages from the caller orchestration to the invoked orchestration, and the invoked orchestration will receive the messages based upon the correlation' does not mean multiple messages can be passed. The document means there is a one time exchange from parent to child and child back to parent. If I restate the documentation as 'you can now safely send a message' not 'send messages', I have the concept.

I will mark as answered and close the thread.

Bruce

Friday, September 30, 2016 2:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Bruce,

The only thing unique with start orchestration is its asynchronous way of trigger, can you elaborate more on what to you mean by update operation, I think a sub orchestration started  using the start orchestration shape can do everything a parent orchestration can do and there cannot be any return parameter to the parent orchestration.

What is your requirement if you need the response back to the parent orchestration you shall use a call orchestration shape. LInk2

Or

there is little different pattern discussed here.

Orchestration To Orchestration Call Via Direct Bound Ports For A Synchronous Process

Also for the error you received check this page

Regards Pushpendra Singh : Please mark the reply as answer or vote it up, as deemed fit.

• Edited by Pushpendra K Singh Friday, September 30, 2016 12:07 AM
    Thursday, September 29, 2016 11:45 PM
  • Thank you for the reply Pushpendra.

I think I have a conceptual error on the use case for a 'start orchestration with self correlated'. 

What I thought I could do was start a child orchestration and send status updated from the parent to the child. After re-reading the document mentioned in original post, I now believe the line 'You can now safely send messages from the caller orchestration to the invoked orchestration, and the invoked orchestration will receive the messages based upon the correlation' does not mean multiple messages can be passed. The document means there is a one time exchange from parent to child and child back to parent. If I restate the documentation as 'you can now safely send a message' not 'send messages', I have the concept.

I will mark as answered and close the thread.

Bruce

Friday, September 30, 2016 2:20 PM