Shared workbook RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

Can I work with PowerPivot on a shared workbook?

Thanks

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 2:10 AM

Answers

• I've taken a look at this question again with a pair of fresh eyes. Ticking 'Allow changes by more than one user at the same time. This also allows workbook merging.' on the 'Share Workbook' window has the side effect of placing a number of restrictions on how the workbook can be altered or used. Unfortunately, at the present time, enabling the workbook to be shared appears to cause a conflict with the Power Pivot add-in.

What I've done in the past to allow a type of multi-user Power Pivot workbook on a file share is to actually save the workbook as an Excel template. By so doing, when users open the file, they are actually creating their own local copy and as a result they don't cause any locks on the original workbook file. When a user tries to save a change to the workbook, they will be forced to save it as a new file. The person responsible for maintaining the workbook can edit the template if they need to make any changes that should be present when the users next open the workbook.

Regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark a post that answers your question as an answer...If a post doesn't answer your question but you've found it helpful, please remember to vote it as helpful :)

Website: nimblelearn.com, Blog: nimblelearn.com/blog, Twitter: @nimblelearn

• Edited by Michael Amadi Friday, June 20, 2014 8:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by MaYaLi Friday, June 20, 2014 12:42 PM
    Friday, June 20, 2014 8:12 AM

All replies

• Hello,

How exactly is the workbook shared, via SharePoint or via a simple file share or ...?

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 6:32 AM
  • Sorry...

the file is saved in a common folder, and they use simple share via the review tab on the ribbon.

they don't have sharepoint

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 7:09 AM
  • Hi MaYaLi,

There shouldn't be a problem with using a Power Pivot workbook in a shared folder. Assuming that you have read/write permissions on the file in the shared location, with the exception of the time it takes to actually load and save changes to it (this depends on your network bandwidth and utilisation), the behavior should be the same as a locally stored workbook.

Have I understood you correctly? If so, have you run into any issues when attempting to do this?

Regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark a post that answers your question as an answer...If a post doesn't answer your question but you've found it helpful, please remember to vote it as helpful :)

Thursday, June 19, 2014 4:07 PM
  • I've taken a look at this question again with a pair of fresh eyes. Ticking 'Allow changes by more than one user at the same time. This also allows workbook merging.' on the 'Share Workbook' window has the side effect of placing a number of restrictions on how the workbook can be altered or used. Unfortunately, at the present time, enabling the workbook to be shared appears to cause a conflict with the Power Pivot add-in.

What I've done in the past to allow a type of multi-user Power Pivot workbook on a file share is to actually save the workbook as an Excel template. By so doing, when users open the file, they are actually creating their own local copy and as a result they don't cause any locks on the original workbook file. When a user tries to save a change to the workbook, they will be forced to save it as a new file. The person responsible for maintaining the workbook can edit the template if they need to make any changes that should be present when the users next open the workbook.

Regards,

Michael

• Edited by Michael Amadi Friday, June 20, 2014 8:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by MaYaLi Friday, June 20, 2014 12:42 PM
    Friday, June 20, 2014 8:12 AM
  • Thank you Michael Amadi
    Friday, June 20, 2014 12:42 PM
  • Glad it helped :)

Regards,

Michael

Friday, June 20, 2014 2:04 PM