Form sometimes opens in Infopath, sometimes in browser RRS feed

• Question

• My issue is similar to others that have been posted, but with a slight tweak!

I have the Type column on both a standard view and a datasheet view. If I click on the icon from the Standard View the form will launch properly in the browser but from the Datasheet view it brings up the File Download dialog box and asks me to Open or Save. Open has the file open in Infopath instead of the browser. I remember at one point I was able to click on the Type icon for a form and it would launch in browser but I don't know what causes it to not work properly now. Using Internet Explorer 8 on Windows XP, Sharepoint 2007, Infopath 2007. 

Had hoped that the answer here would work, but it didn't http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sharepointinfopath/thread/96c411e1-dfa1-4c77-a37d-495f33f28c0f/

Thanks!

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:29 PM

All replies

• This is expected behavior.  Browser forms are not expected to be invoked from datasheet view - that's not really the interface expected when opening a form.  YOu use Datasheet view for updating many fields at one time across a whole list or library.  This is usually not used with forms, because then none of the form logic can be applied to the changes made in datasheet view, which can nullify the whole point of using InfoPath.  You probably have a specific business requirement that leads to this non-standard approach, but when in datasheet view, the Type icon is not able to invoke the functionality that tells the library to open the doc in the browser like it does in standard view.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:44 AM
  • Thanks for the clear and concise answer! To your point, we are using the form to load project tracking info. The datasheet view is only utilized to update limited data columns (mostly status updates) and there are controls set on the SharePoint side so that there is some data validation on that end.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 3:27 AM