Windows Mobile 5.0 and Database connectivity.... RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to make a Application on Windows Mobile 5.0 that is able to connect to my Access database.  I dont see how I can create a connection object to do this on the device itself....it looks like I have to create a web service that will run on my server in addition to my mobile application.  Is this true?

PDS
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:05 PM

Answers

• There are ADO.Net providers available if you have a remotely accessible database server (which Access is not).

Specifically you can connect to SQL Server using provider shipped by Microsoft and to some 3rd party databases using 3rd party data providers.

If you insist on using Access then web service is your only option. If you dump it (e.g. for SQL Server Express which is free) then you would have more options and less work to do.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Jimbohanna Tuesday, August 16, 2011 8:43 PM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 6:33 PM

All replies

• Yes, that is true.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:34 PM
  • Are there any data connection objects that can be used on the device? Or is making a Web Service the only way?

DO you know of any articles that speak of this? So that I can read up on this.

PDS
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:51 PM
  • There are ADO.Net providers available if you have a remotely accessible database server (which Access is not).

Specifically you can connect to SQL Server using provider shipped by Microsoft and to some 3rd party databases using 3rd party data providers.

If you insist on using Access then web service is your only option. If you dump it (e.g. for SQL Server Express which is free) then you would have more options and less work to do.

• Marked as answer by Jimbohanna Tuesday, August 16, 2011 8:43 PM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 6:33 PM
  • That is exactly what I was looking for.

We have plans to move our Inventory system over to SQL Server 2008.  But that process is not something you just do over night.  In the meantime we need to add handheld scanners to out facility.  I will have to read up on how to deploy the web service.  I would think it would be fairly simple.

PDS
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 6:37 PM
  • Does it get Deployed to IIS on my server for in-house usage? Or is there something else?

PDS
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 8:10 PM
  • That is more of organizational issue. But yes, you can host it on your server.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 8:32 PM
  • Thanks, Yeah I know it is an "organizational issue". There are various ways to host it.  Since this is only ever going to be used in-house for devices on the WAN Hosting it on our server where the database is it will be the best choice i think.  Obviously, If devices outside of the network want to use it there would be a wide range of network related decisions that will have to be made. 

This all becomes a mute point if we switch to SQL Server then all the processing and SQL calls can be built as part of the mobile application instead of having 2 programs (mobile and web service) acting together as 1 application.

Thanks for your insight Ilya.

Much appreciated.

PDS

PDS
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 8:43 PM