none
F# Application Development RRS feed

• Question

• Hi EveryOne,

List of Queries regarding the F# language

• Can anyone tell me what kind software products can we be built using F# language ?
    • Also the scenarios in which we may choose F# software application development .
    • The difference between C# and F# language.

Thanks in Advance.

God Bless

Very Warm Regards,
    ProgrammerLive - PL 
    Helping People To Solve Technical Problems
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 4:42 PM

Answers

• Hello,

C# is general purpose language and suits well majority of enterprise applications. On the other side, F# suits very good for scientific tasks, highly-concurrent applications. But at this point probably F# fans will start blaming me :) (even though I am also one of them). F# is not something very specific, it is also Object Oriented Language and you can easily implement any kind of services using F#. Also it is much easier to implement DSL (Domain Specific Language) in F# than in C#.

Actually, there is a lot of difference between languages. In F# you can enforce immutability which is very important in concurrent tasks. F# has such useful things as pattern matching, discriminated unions, workflows and a lot more.
    Basically, IMHO it is easier to describe, what is in common (like closures or lambdas).
    Vitaliy Liptchinsky http://dotnetframeworkplanet.blogspot.com/
    • Marked as answer by PROGRAMMERLIVE Thursday, October 22, 2009 11:08 PM
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 6:11 PM
  • I don't think you'll see entire applications developed in F#.  If you do, they'll be rare.  I think what you'll see, however, is alot of implementation being done in F#.  Immutability is a wonderful thing, and F# makes it very easy to keep things immutable.

There are so many differences between the languages that it would take a book to define them all.  Might I suggest "Real World Functional Programming" by Jon Skeet and Tomas Petricek as a good starting point to learn functional programming. 

Personally, I love F#.  You can also read some about it on my blog, which is linked to below.
    Coding Light - Illuminated Ideas and Algorithms in Software
    Coding Light WikiLinkedInForumsBrowser
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 6:35 PM

All replies

• Hello,

C# is general purpose language and suits well majority of enterprise applications. On the other side, F# suits very good for scientific tasks, highly-concurrent applications. But at this point probably F# fans will start blaming me :) (even though I am also one of them). F# is not something very specific, it is also Object Oriented Language and you can easily implement any kind of services using F#. Also it is much easier to implement DSL (Domain Specific Language) in F# than in C#.

Actually, there is a lot of difference between languages. In F# you can enforce immutability which is very important in concurrent tasks. F# has such useful things as pattern matching, discriminated unions, workflows and a lot more.
    Basically, IMHO it is easier to describe, what is in common (like closures or lambdas).
    Vitaliy Liptchinsky http://dotnetframeworkplanet.blogspot.com/
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 6:11 PM
  • I don't think you'll see entire applications developed in F#.  If you do, they'll be rare.  I think what you'll see, however, is alot of implementation being done in F#.  Immutability is a wonderful thing, and F# makes it very easy to keep things immutable.

There are so many differences between the languages that it would take a book to define them all.  Might I suggest "Real World Functional Programming" by Jon Skeet and Tomas Petricek as a good starting point to learn functional programming. 

Personally, I love F#.  You can also read some about it on my blog, which is linked to below.
    Coding Light - Illuminated Ideas and Algorithms in Software
    Coding Light WikiLinkedInForumsBrowser
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 6:35 PM
  • Hi EveryOne.

Thanks you for your replies.

With Warm Regards,
    ProgrammerLive

Helping People To Solve Technical Problems
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 11:09 PM