none
Deploying to local IIS using VS Community 2015

Question

• Hi

I've downloaded and installed the free VS Community 2015 software. Compiled and tested my code just fine.

I now wish to Publish my code to another computer running IIS. 

When I click build > publish web app all I see is the ability to publish to Azure. In other versions of VS I was able to publish to a folder. 

How do you deploy your applications to a local IIS using VS Community 2015?

Thanks for your time

Laurie

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 1:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• Is it a web site or a web project? I will assume web site.

What do you get when you right-click the web site in Solution Explorer then click on "Publish" then click on "Profile" in the left (if it is not already selected)? Under "Select a publish target" do you also get "Import" and "Custom" as well as Azure?

Do you know if you want to use FTP or Web Deploy? If your server supports it, you can download a Web Deploy profile then import it.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 7:49 PM
  • Thanks for Sam Hobbs's help.

Hi Laurie,

Please try the suggested steps that provided by Sam Hobbs, which should be the common publish steps in Visual Studio.

Following document provide the detailed information about these steps. If any problem, please feel free to come back.

https://docs.asp.net/en/latest/publishing/iis-with-msdeploy.html

And if there has any problem when deploying, the VS Web Deployment Projects forum is a good choice. The experts on that forum could help you resolve the problem when deploying.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 5:25 AM
  • Hi Sam

Thanks for replying

The code is from an old VS2008 website/database that I wrote many years ago. I simply installed VS community 2015 and went File > Open > Web Site. Navigated to the folder that contained the old code and went from there so I guess it is a Web Site.

I tried your suggestion but there was no profile selection present when I right clicked Solution explorer. Instead I got the following headings. Build webSite,  Publish web app, Scope To This and further down Copy WebSite.  I opened Copy WebSite and it had the options to copy to a folder, IIS and FTP.

Is this what I am looking for? Do I create an IIS website and use Copy WebSite?

I've had a look at the Weiwei doco given in the link below but I didn't Copy WebSite  and nor have I seen it mentioned anywhere else

Any idea if I am on the right track?

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 12:19 PM
  • Since it was developed using VS 2008 it is probably not what Microsoft calls a "Web Site". Microsoft can be frustrating in their selection of terminology. "Web Projects" are the original way to create web sites and "Web Sites" are a new way. The name "Web Site" is of course confusing; it is really, really confusing.

Look at the "File" | "New" menu in Visual Studio. It has both "Project..." and "Web Site...". Correspondingly, "File" | "Open" has both "Project/Solution" and "Web Site...".

Here is a suggestion, and the main reason I am suggesting it is because it is easy for me to suggest. Create a new (empty) Web Site then copy the files to it and then see what options are available for publishing.

I will understand if that is too much to do. You could at least create both an empty Web Project using "File" | "New" | "Project..." and then look at the options for publishing then create an empty Web Site using "File" | "New" | "Web Site" and then look at the options for publishing.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 3:11 PM
  • Ooops, sorry; I see that you did open it as a Web Site. As I said, it is probably not a Web Site.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 3:14 PM
  • Hi Sam

Turns out work had a paid version of VS 2013 and I was easily able to publish an old project built on VS2005. This version had the Publish sub menu as you described earlier.

Since the target for my current code is windows XP I don't think VS2013/2015 will get me there anyway as they both need IIS7

I am reinistalling VS 2008 and will work with that instead.

I could be completely wrong but it seems that VS 2015 community (free) may only publish to Azure.

Anyway, thanks for all your help, It made working with VS 2013 a lot easier

Cheers

Laurie

Thursday, June 30, 2016 8:49 AM
  • Hi Laurie,

Thanks for your response and share your workaround here.

Please mark your reply as answer which is benefit to other communities who has the same problem.

If any questions about Visual Studio IDE in future, please feel free to come back to our forum creating new thread.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, June 30, 2016 8:55 AM
  • Hi Weiwei

I don't have a workaround.

Is it true that the free version can only publish to Azure?

I created a new blank web application and although I can now see the Publish option it will still only publish to Azure

Thursday, June 30, 2016 2:08 PM
  • Can you provide a screen shot of what you see when you right-click the web site in Solution Explorer then click on "Publish" then click on "Profile" in the left (if it is not already selected)?

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Thursday, June 30, 2016 3:55 PM
  • Hi Sam

This is what I see, Same screen shot if I create a new project or a new web site.

Do you use the VS2015 Community free version yourself?

Friday, July 01, 2016 8:16 AM
  • The following is what I see. The difference might be that what you have is not a Web Site but a Web Project. I am only guessing there.

Yes, I use VS 205 Community Edition too. I uploaded a my SimpleSamples.Info to GoDaddy today.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Friday, July 01, 2016 8:34 PM
  • Hi Sam

Great web site. Looks like a bunch of fun things to learn, definitely returning to that page.

I am going to uninstall and re-install the product.

I get the same result whether I create Web Site or a Web Project but I did notice that IIS would not install due to antivirus on WIN 10 ( a known issue it seems) so maybe if I start from scratch with antivirus off I might do better

Cheers

Laurie 

Sunday, July 03, 2016 11:36 PM
  • Hi Sam

Did a complete re-install and got the same results. 

One last question before I give up on this. When I tried to create a new web project I got the following error. Any ideas

Monday, July 04, 2016 12:04 PM
  • Monday, July 04, 2016 10:06 PM
  • Hi Sam

I should have searched myself before firing off that last reply. Anyway the fix for the error message was to install the patch for VS2015 as detailed above. This sadly did not fix the publish issue.

No problem, I don't need to publish at the moment anyway so when I do I'll came back and look again.

Thanks for all your help on this issue

Cheers

Laurie

Tuesday, July 05, 2016 8:53 AM