Looking for recent books RRS feed

• General discussion

• We're looking for any recent books that discuss/describe how to do the following:

Using .Net (VB and/or C#)

Programming/manipulating MS Office apps (Outlook, Word, and Excel).  Don't care about PPT.  Visio would be a bonus.

Programming from external applications vs. using plug-ins/add-ins.

Programming/writing plug-ins/add-ins.

Office 2010 preferred.

Careful with that VAX Eugene

• Changed type Quist Zhang Monday, July 29, 2013 9:07 AM
    Saturday, July 13, 2013 4:53 PM

All replies

• http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Excel-Development-Definitive-Applications/dp/0321508793

http://www.amazon.com/Excel-Power-Programming-Spreadsheets-Bookshelf/dp/0470475358/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y

Both from expert Excel programmers.

The only really good book for Word that covers the topics you mention is in German: Word Programmierung Das Handbuch.

About Outlook I have no idea...

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Sunday, July 14, 2013 3:42 PM
  • Makes me wish I knew German.

Thanks for the references.  There was a pair of good books on Outlook Programming by a very smart lady (one an update of the other), unfortunately it doesn't look like she's continued to update as Outlook has evolved.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:27 PM
  • Looks like that German book would have to be for Word 2003 given it has a published date of 2007.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:28 PM
  • There are THREE editions of the Word book, the most recent written for version 2010. Currently, we're working on the new text for the FOURTH edition, that will also cover Word 2013 and the Open XML SDK.

You must have found a reference to the original release, which was, indeed, written for Word 2003. Second edition covered Word 2007.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 1:09 PM
  • That would be Sue Mosher, I'm guessing :-) She's gotten out of the business since she did that book; turned it over to someone else, who doesn't "do" books, I believe...

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 1:12 PM