none
System hang on reboot after Windows Updates RRS feed

• Question

• The windows images (application compatibility, -DVD Maker, +French language) being used are from July 2013 and Feb 2014.When running Windows updates we are prompted to reboot. Once we click reboot, windows shuts down, but then the system displays a black screen and does not restart. To recover, we must cold boot the machine then everything works fine.

Repro steps
    - Install Win7Emb (re-image unit)
    - Run windows updates (72 updates were detected on our image)
    - Reboot when prompted

Results
    - The computer will display a black screen and does not reboot

Other observations
    - We have many identical units and this does not occur on every unit every time.
    - The problem is intermittent, meaning the same unit can display the problem, and then will be fine another time we try. (occurs 1 out of 8 times)
    - After the reboot, the post is never displayed. It looks like the system locks up after windows shuts down and is about to restart but it just hangs

This also occurred on a different computer using a different image (but with similar contents) so it doesn't look hardware related.

Any thoughts?

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 4:05 PM

All replies

• Are you using Windows Embedded Standard 7?

What graphics driver are you using in the image?

If you hit CTRL-Shift-ESC does TaskManager appear?

Are you able to see caps and num lock lights on the keyboard turn on and off when you hit caps lock and num lock keys?

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 4:41 PM
  • Are you using Windows Embedded Standard 7?

What graphics driver are you using in the image?

If you hit CTRL-Shift-ESC does TaskManager appear?

Are you able to see caps and num lock lights on the keyboard turn on and off when you hit caps lock and num lock keys?

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Yes W7EMB Standard

Graphics are a AMD Radeon HD 6290 - AMD driver 12.104.0.0 (03/28/2013)

Nothing appears with CTRL-Shift-ESC. I should have mentioned that during the reboot, windows logs out of the shell and shows the Windows updates processing. It shuts down at about 30%, then the black screen appears. No POST, no startup screen.  

I didn't check the CAPS or NUM lock light

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 5:34 PM
  • Sounds like after Windows Update processes, it shuts the system down. If you power on after shutdown, does the system come back up?

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 7:30 PM
  • Sounds like after Windows Update processes, it shuts the system down. If you power on after shutdown, does the system come back up?

Windows shuts down, but the computer is still on (can hear the HD spinning). I need to power off, then power on for it to recover.
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 1:45 PM
  • Do you by chance have a serial port touch screen in use?  I have seen something similar on this setup.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Thursday, March 19, 2015 2:53 PM
  • Do you by chance have a serial port touch screen in use?  I have seen something similar on this setup.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

No serial port touchscreen. However I am using a KVM switch.
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 2:55 PM
  • I may have run into something that might be related. The project I am working on was going fine until I added updates and switch from VGA to HDMI. I added the updates via ICE rather than download after install. The OS install went through the normal routine and rebooted. I removed the installation disk and the system rebooted and started to continue the install process. Then the screen went blank as if the system was going to reboot... nothing. I checked the HDMI output and still nothing. I removed all the updates and tried again, same exact result. If I power cycle the message says that the install failed.

I went into the BIOS and found the video settings had support for CRT, HDMI and LVDS. I have ran into LVDS issues before. I disable LVDS, and set the system to output from CRT. This time the OS installer worked as expected. My guess is that the video driver switched to the LVDS screen. You might be getting a video driver update - check the BIOS settings and disable LVDS if enabled.

Saturday, March 21, 2015 7:34 PM
  • I may have run into something that might be related. The project I am working on was going fine until I added updates and switch from VGA to HDMI. I added the updates via ICE rather than download after install. The OS install went through the normal routine and rebooted. I removed the installation disk and the system rebooted and started to continue the install process. Then the screen went blank as if the system was going to reboot... nothing. I checked the HDMI output and still nothing. I removed all the updates and tried again, same exact result. If I power cycle the message says that the install failed.

I went into the BIOS and found the video settings had support for CRT, HDMI and LVDS. I have ran into LVDS issues before. I disable LVDS, and set the system to output from CRT. This time the OS installer worked as expected. My guess is that the video driver switched to the LVDS screen. You might be getting a video driver update - check the BIOS settings and disable LVDS if enabled.

There's no driver updates, also I don't have the option for LVDS in the bios. The computer has a display port and HDMI, I'm using the HDMI.

I re-imaged the computer and tried updating 1 update at a time to try an isolate the problem. About 5 updates in I realized it would take several hours to complete the job, so I started to group the updates. The problem re-occurred with the following group of updates.
    KB2991963
    KB2992611
    KB2993958
    KB3003743
    KB3004361

Unfortunately I don't see a correlation. I re-imaged and re-installed the updates on 3 other identical machines and could not reproduce the problem. Very frustrating...

Monday, March 23, 2015 1:47 PM