none
Visual Studio 2019 worst community edition? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was wondering what people think about VS2019?  Is it worth upgrading from 2015? and also, is there a community edition?

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, April 18, 2019 8:25 PM

All replies

• I like Visual Studio 2019 a lot and use it everyday at work. Their is a community edition of VS 2019
    Friday, April 19, 2019 12:15 AM
  • Hello,

If I may ask, why is the question title "Visual Studio 2019 worst community edition" then in the text mention nothing about trying the Community Edition?

IMHO each new version of Visual Studio offers more than prior versions thus well worth moving forward to VS2019 Community Edition. The only reason not to move to VS2019 is if VS2015 provides all you need for creating solutions.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Friday, April 19, 2019 1:24 AM
  • Hi CammyDu,

Thank you for posting here.

For your question, every update of Visual Studio, it will provide some new features and fix some bugs.

Here is the new feature of Visual Studio 2019 for your reference. We always suggest to use the latest version.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/ide/whats-new-visual-studio-2019?view=vs-2019

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/visual-studio-2019-new-features/

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 19, 2019 6:03 AM
  • As with every major release of VS I'd say you need to evaluate the functionality with your skillset. The first version of a new release tends to be buggy (yes even VS 2019, look at the feedback for it), existing extensions may or may not have been updated yet and will have their own sets of bugs and, unless you have an MSDN subscription, cost money. To me it's the same question you need to ask yourself when upgrading phones. The new vNext phone came out, do I need it or can I stick with what I have?

VS 2019 adds support for some C# 8 features (but requires Core), better support for SDK projects and support for .NET Core 3. Does any of this matter to you? If not then there is no fundamental benefit in upgrading at this time other than to say you're on the latest. Additionally, when things do go wrong you'll have to report it and given VS 2019 has just come out there is a lot of feedback being entered about how things don't work like they did before (either by design or not) so it is taking longer to get things fixed that aren't plain broken (and even then). Additionally there are some changes to the UI and how things work that will impact productivity until you get used to it so if you're on a deadline then now might not be the best time to upgrade.

By the time the first major update (16.1 or perhaps 16.2) comes out you will probably want to start thinking about upgrading. Having said all that, you should certainly upgrade from VS 2015 to at least VS 2017. However if you determine that VS 2019 is the way to go then skip VS 2017 altogether.

Finally note that you can have VS 2019 side by side with VS 2017. If you want to try it out, verify your extensions work, etc then side by side installation is the way to go. That is how I run it. I use VS 2019 for primary development until I do stuff that doesn't work in VS 2019 yet. Then I switch back to VS 2017. Solutions are (mostly) backwards compatible so you can swap between the two.

Yes there is a community edition. On the VS downloads page it is the very first link.

Michael Taylor http://www.michaeltaylorp3.net

Friday, April 19, 2019 2:08 PM