How is Windows Developer preview compared to Windows 7?

All replies

• Was wondering how the dev preview is compared to windows 7.
    IMO I like it so far. But I would recommend to browse through forums to know more opinion about WDP.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert (IT Pro)
    Monday, October 10, 2011 5:22 PM
  • Thanks for your opinion. I love my windows phone and I liked what I've seen of windows dev in the videos. Would it be best to do a clean install or will upgrading to it be a good route. Right now I have issues when trying to upgrade on one of my laptops as it would hang after rebooting and there is now two non working copies of it and a working windows 7 on the laptop so thinking I might have to do a clean install to fix that but not too sure.

Monday, October 10, 2011 5:32 PM
  • Thanks for your opinion. I love my windows phone and I liked what I've seen of windows dev in the videos. Would it be best to do a clean install or will upgrading to it be a good route. Right now I have issues when trying to upgrade on one of my laptops as it would hang after rebooting and there is now two non working copies of it and a working windows 7 on the laptop so thinking I might have to do a clean install to fix that but not too sure.

Yes Clean Install would the best route to go.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert (IT Pro)
    • Edited by CaptainMVP Monday, October 10, 2011 6:02 PM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 6:02 PM
  • Clean install especially for a preview, there are likely to be enough issues without throwing the upgrade process into the mix.

Here's my three experiences

Acer W500 tablet with keyboard dock - I love it both in tablet and laptop mode, surprisingly nippy considering the hardware

Apple MacBook via Bootcamp - pretty good but couldn't get the trackpad to work, Seemed ok once I plugged in external monitor, keyboard & mouse in (which is my preferred way of working with laptops)

Compaq/HP nx7400 with old/spare 5400rpm drive fitted - awful issues with video driver, couldn't get dual screen to work, couldn't get native resolution of either screen and graphical transitions were jerky. I put the original drive back in (with Win7 install) and it was back to being usable again.

Acer W500 tablet & dock, New 'works' Lenovo laptop Too much apple stuff. Remember: A Developer Preview is just that, a preview for developers - not everything will work 'just right' on day 1.
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 10:30 PM