none
Debugging withOUT any version of IIS

Question

• I am using Visual Studio 2013 Professional and have been informed that we must remove all versions of IIS, including Express, from our workstations. (Apparently, all versions of IIS are vulnerabilities. Don't argue that they aren't, you're barking up the wrong tree.)

Will this break my install of Visual Studio? What are my options regarding debugging web applications locally if I don't have any version of IIS installed?

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 1:52 PM

Answers

• Hi P Blecha,

>>Will this break my install of Visual Studio?

I have tried uninstall IIS on my computer. When I open a website I created before, it can't be loaded because of the lack of IIS. And I try to create a new web application with Visual Studio, it also give me a error message which lead to I can't create any web application with Visual Studio.

So I think it will break the installation of Visual Studio. I suggest you don't uninstall IIS if you want to use Visual Studio developing web application.

>>What are my options regarding debugging web applications locally if I don't have any version of IIS installed?

Please open the Properties window of web application, we can select Servers in Web tab as below image shows. Even if we can select External Host as server, we still need IIS on our computer. Because if lack of IIS, we can't create web application with Visual Studio.

In addition, following article introduce the Web Servers in Visual Studio for ASP.NET Web projects. Please refer to the part of "Advantages of using an External Host as a Development Server with Visual Studio".

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/58wxa9w5(v=vs.120).aspx#externalhostadvantages

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 5:06 AM

All replies

• Hi P Blecha,

>>Will this break my install of Visual Studio?

I have tried uninstall IIS on my computer. When I open a website I created before, it can't be loaded because of the lack of IIS. And I try to create a new web application with Visual Studio, it also give me a error message which lead to I can't create any web application with Visual Studio.

So I think it will break the installation of Visual Studio. I suggest you don't uninstall IIS if you want to use Visual Studio developing web application.

>>What are my options regarding debugging web applications locally if I don't have any version of IIS installed?

Please open the Properties window of web application, we can select Servers in Web tab as below image shows. Even if we can select External Host as server, we still need IIS on our computer. Because if lack of IIS, we can't create web application with Visual Studio.

In addition, following article introduce the Web Servers in Visual Studio for ASP.NET Web projects. Please refer to the part of "Advantages of using an External Host as a Development Server with Visual Studio".

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/58wxa9w5(v=vs.120).aspx#externalhostadvantages

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 5:06 AM
  • Weiwei,

Unfortunately, uninstalling IIS on my workstation is not an option. Is there an alternative?

Thursday, March 31, 2016 1:56 PM