Design Documentation - Where is the best place to store them RRS feed

• Question

• When working on Bugs / Tasks we create design docuemnts (I heard somewhere that these are useful... still trying find who said that :D ). Anyways, where would be the best place to store these?

Say if there were 5 bugs in our system that could be fixed with 1 code change, we'd only create one document for that (5 bugs still). So, attaching the same document to all those bugs is very bad in my mind. We could also upload it to our portal site and link to it via a Hyperlink in each Bug work item.

I find the latter the best way of doing this. Is there other ways I have missed that would be better?

Thanks.

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 9:39 PM

Answers

• I agree you should store them in the document portal and only link via
    URL.

The other option is to store them somewhere in the main version control
    tree. That would give you more flexibility but less convenience than
    the Sharepoint-based portal.
    Tuesday, June 6, 2006 9:48 PM

All replies

• I agree you should store them in the document portal and only link via
    URL.

The other option is to store them somewhere in the main version control
    tree. That would give you more flexibility but less convenience than
    the Sharepoint-based portal.
    Tuesday, June 6, 2006 9:48 PM
  • I admit that I store this sort of stuff in version control because I don't quite trust the versioning features in WSS 2003.  When I check-in the document I would associate it with the work items so you can have that link in place.

However - like Richard says they are not as convienient when in version control (especially for user review etc), but I rather sacrifice convienience over control - must say something about my personality :-)
    Wednesday, June 7, 2006 6:44 AM