Operations with storage files.

Question

• Hi everyone!
    During the development of Windows 8.1 application, I got the problem and I don`t know how to solve it.
    Will be grate to solve this problem with C# :)
    Precondition:
    1) Create file in local storage.
    2) Open this file with Launcher.LaunchFileAsync.

Problems:
    1) I need to detect some events like file opened, file closed.
    2) I need to detect the application which user want to use for work with this file.

Thanks for advice.

Friday, September 26, 2014 7:36 AM

Answers

• This is not possible. Your app cannot detect or control which other apps the user opens the file with.

• Marked as answer by Ruslan Grashyn Wednesday, October 8, 2014 8:10 AM
    Friday, October 3, 2014 5:21 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Why do you need this? What is the scenario? Is this a side-loaded scenario or store-deployed?

There is no supported way to do exactly what you ask. Interacting directly with desktop apps is not supported.

That said, a side-loaded app could use a Brokered Windows Runtime Component to bypass the normal Windows Store app protections. See Cheat-Sheet for using Brokered Windows Runtime Components for side-loaded Windows Store apps

Friday, September 26, 2014 9:17 PM
    Owner
  • The user story, for example, is:
    1) Create my own files type.
    2) Propose to open this file with other applications.
    3) If some applications will make the bad things with file, I will add them to the black list.
    4) Blocking work with black listed applications by replacing file to invalid.
    Tuesday, September 30, 2014 3:20 PM
  • This is not possible. Your app cannot detect or control which other apps the user opens the file with.

• Marked as answer by Ruslan Grashyn Wednesday, October 8, 2014 8:10 AM
    Friday, October 3, 2014 5:21 PM
    Owner
  • Ok, thank you.
    I guessed this, but now I have a proof :)
    Wednesday, October 8, 2014 8:10 AM