Test Case Management (Test Cases as work items) RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I know this has been asked several times on this forum, but I need this to be clarified.  As far as I see it, you can create manual test cases via text or word documents.  These test cases can be managed by a QA project, or checked into each project they are associated with.  I can organize my tests for test runs via test lists.  I cannot view when my test case was last run, what all of my test cases are in a view, and i cannot pause my test run and continue at another time (after tfs is closed).   I can publish a test run afterwards (but cannot see the benefit of this).

I know it is not recommended to have a work item specifically for test cases, but if i do this i see this to be the only true test case management solution.  I can mark these work items pass or fail, have reports on them, associate them to requirements (test case coverage), and see how many are still left to be run for a build by associating all of them to a build and running reports on what is left to run.  I know it has been said by some this is a bad strategy because of what is comign in the future.  Has anyone tried to do this, and has a template they can share which i can start off of?  Also, if you have tried and failed, any assistance would be appreciated.  If you feel this is a bad approach, but have a better one, please provide comments as well.  Thanks in advance.

Monday, October 29, 2007 1:00 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I cannot comment on your strategy as I have not tried it. I just want to let you know that we are working on a Test Case Management system in our next version of VSTS ("Rosario"). In this product, we may have Test Pass management features.

The next version of CTP of Rosario is scheduled to be released in the end of October, please download it and try it and give us the feedback in this forum. Your feedback will be very important to us, as your requirement may be a feature in the final product!

thanks,

Christine

Monday, October 29, 2007 6:50 PM
  • Hi

I just started working on Rosario-Nov CTP VM , with context to Test Case Management there are substantial improvements from TFS 2005. For now I have following questions related to Test Case Management

1) Microsoft code name "Camano" provides functionality to work with test cases , but at  the same time we also have Test Projects (with Manual Tests etc ) do Microsoft is planning to keeping both methodologies side by side.

2) In case some one extend test case work item in Rosario , is it still going to be opened/updated in Camano?

3) Is the schema for TRX is available ? I do understand that some reports in TFS 2005 (or may be even in Rosario) uses TRX to get information related to test.  

Best Regards

Razi

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 12:52 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I cannot comment on your strategy as I have not tried it. I just want to let you know that we are working on a Test Case Management system in our next version of VSTS ("Rosario"). In this product, we may have Test Pass management features.

The next version of CTP of Rosario is scheduled to be released in the end of October, please download it and try it and give us the feedback in this forum. Your feedback will be very important to us, as your requirement may be a feature in the final product!

thanks,

Christine

Monday, October 29, 2007 6:50 PM
  • Hi

I just started working on Rosario-Nov CTP VM , with context to Test Case Management there are substantial improvements from TFS 2005. For now I have following questions related to Test Case Management

1) Microsoft code name "Camano" provides functionality to work with test cases , but at  the same time we also have Test Projects (with Manual Tests etc ) do Microsoft is planning to keeping both methodologies side by side.

2) In case some one extend test case work item in Rosario , is it still going to be opened/updated in Camano?

3) Is the schema for TRX is available ? I do understand that some reports in TFS 2005 (or may be even in Rosario) uses TRX to get information related to test.  

Best Regards

Razi

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 12:52 PM
  • Have you ever figured out how to manage this? I have the exact same problem. We want to move away from Mercury completelly but cannot wait for "Rosario" release.

Monday, January 21, 2008 11:12 PM
  • Hi Alex

Check out this post http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2123062&SiteID=1 

If this seems help full,  do post message here in reply , so I can give you better picture if anything seems troublesome.

Regards

Razi

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:30 AM