PdfDocViewer by Wolfgang Goldner RRS feed

• Question

• Does anybody have any information on how to use PdfDocViewer by Wolfgang Goldner?

I just downloaded the extension but I made the mistake of thinking it would come with some level of instructions on how to use it...  I was wrong.

It installed easy enough (double click the vsix file) and then select the extension in the project properties, but then... nothing.  Not one word on how to use it or what to do next.  There is a link on the PdfDocViewer website that leads to something about WCF RIA Services written by Michael Washington but while reading what was found on that link I couldn't help but wonder if Hanzel and Grettle felt as lost as I was after the birds ate their bread crumbs.

Can anybody point me someplace where I can make sense out of what needs to be done to use PdfDocViewer?

Thanks

Ed

Friday, May 2, 2014 12:53 AM

Answers

• Yes... I already acknowledged that the instructions on how to use the product are contained within the brief product description but unless one is already very familiar with the process the information provided in the description will be insufficient to accomplish the task.

In the interim I found an excellent post written by Yann which explains in precise detail exactly how to display a web page from within a Lightswitch program.  With a little modification I was easily able to incorporate Yann's procedure by using a button to link to an ftp site containing the pdf documents I needed to display.  Yann even went the extra mile by posting the code in both C# and VB.  Very well done and it worked perfectly.

Thank you for your input.

• Marked as answer by Jyuma1 Thursday, May 8, 2014 10:38 AM
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 10:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Ed,

Thanks for your feedback.

According to your description, you want to use PdfDocViewer on your side, but you can't use it properly.

For this issue, please check the extension in the downloaded link, and whether there is guide for you to use it.

In addition, you could also provide the download link below, we will test it on our side.

Regards

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 9:16 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

I'm embarressed to admit that the steps required to make it work were so easy that few instructions were required.  However, as it turns out the PDF to be read must already exist in the table as binary data and my PDF's are not in a table.

Here is the link to the site where I obtained the PDFDocViewer  

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 12:05 PM
  • As the guide shows, there are two ways to use this LightSwitch Pdf Document Viewer Extension.

1. create table with one binary field and create detail view select the pdfviewer from available controls and your done ! Run project and see the pdfviewer control.

2. Create RIA service save document to your storage account and return byte [] as binary property in your RIA service. Create Service Reference and your done.

We need use it by binary field/property.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, May 8, 2014 9:47 AM
  • Yes... I already acknowledged that the instructions on how to use the product are contained within the brief product description but unless one is already very familiar with the process the information provided in the description will be insufficient to accomplish the task.

In the interim I found an excellent post written by Yann which explains in precise detail exactly how to display a web page from within a Lightswitch program.  With a little modification I was easily able to incorporate Yann's procedure by using a button to link to an ftp site containing the pdf documents I needed to display.  Yann even went the extra mile by posting the code in both C# and VB.  Very well done and it worked perfectly.

Thank you for your input.

• Marked as answer by Jyuma1 Thursday, May 8, 2014 10:38 AM
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 10:37 AM
  • Just want to inform all that i have dis continued this product since Lightswitch advanced to the next level and supporting controls now are available through other software providers from that can provide much better support and continuity and support of the product. The product was dedication to the early stages of Lightswitch on VS 2010 when LightSwitch first release and there was hardly any support what so ever on the web. I required the functionality and develop the extension in my Development of AuxCon (Billing System For Advocates) and was at that time merely to assist others faced with same task and no library support. AuxCon Advocate Billing System  is now handed over to Resolution Circle to take the project into the further.  At the time I was faced with a task of developing a billing system for advocates i agreed that i would trade my IP for shares in the company and AuxCon become the holder of my development now handed over to resolution circle. I remained a shareholder in AuxCon’s holding company Entwined up till today. For those that downloaded the extension i will give my support up until the day it is not used anymore in any systems out there should you need my advice and assistance. You can email me at wolfgang at auxcon.co.za directly should you require any assistance.

Best Regards to all and all of the best.    

Thursday, October 23, 2014 8:21 PM
  • lekaattitude.net is hosted on lekaattitude.azurewebsites.net Public Software Pty Ltd
    Saturday, November 1, 2014 6:29 AM
  • My gift to the world lets get all public involved and work together i hope to have developers join my dream is that all software i develop remains mine and the whole public
    Saturday, November 1, 2014 6:31 AM
  • Hi guys you will find that public software has now 3 projects currently in progress tower maths, lekaattitude and marine conservation and research rasspl. I hope that onday we will make ourselfs ritch and all around us with our software we sacrifice our family lifes.
    Saturday, November 1, 2014 6:33 AM