Windows authenication problems RRS feed

• Question

• I enabled windows authentication.   when I run before publishing its shows the current domain users in the top right of my application...    after publishing to web server I go to the site and I am presented with a logon box.    I logon and the page loads to install the application on the desktop.

Installation is successfull however after running the application from desktop I get logon credential prompt but before I can enter anything it times out with an error,

HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM Component.

I am thinking like before publishing it should have just read the current logon on user?

If I am supposed to be prompted for user why does it time out?

Sunday, March 23, 2014 2:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Zoldy

administer permissions more easily by adding users to security groups in Active Directory and then assigning permissions to those groups. You can learn relevant LightSwitch authentication procedure below.             

Hope it helps.

Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Tuesday, April 1, 2014 1:29 AM
    Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:04 AM

All replies

• I tried forms authentication and that works great but i want to eliminate the need to manage passwords.     So I tired implementing windows authentication.    I enabled it under properties then when I published I chose my domain administrator account as the administration account.        When I run my application I am prompted for the user and I enter my domain admin credentials.    I receive internal server error.

As a test I switched to alloy any authenticated windows user and tried various users but same error.

Is there more to the setup I am missing?  

• Merged by Angie Xu Wednesday, March 26, 2014 6:42 AM relevant issue
    Friday, March 21, 2014 3:49 PM
  • is it enabled on your IIS server?

As a first smoke test,simply add a site directly on IIS, put one file in it e.g.  "test.txt" or whatever and check if you browse that file.

paul van bladel

Friday, March 21, 2014 4:52 PM
  • I did not change anything on my IIS ... how do I enable on IIS?    is there a guide for that or is it simple?
    Friday, March 21, 2014 4:57 PM
  • I just check IIS and under authentication windows is enabled?   is that what you mean?
    Friday, March 21, 2014 5:01 PM
  • Please use the WebPI feed to configure the server - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg481779.aspx

Friday, March 21, 2014 5:01 PM
  • I have already done that and publishing my app works perfectly until I enable windows authentication.   forms authentication or no authentication and every publishes and works fine.

Friday, March 21, 2014 5:08 PM
  • Any ideas... is there a good document somewhere on configuring active directory authentication in lightswitch app?
    Friday, March 21, 2014 5:46 PM
  • I have made some progress....

If I publish the client as a web app and after publishing enable anonymous authentication on IIS site it works exactly as suspected.   Although each time I publish I have to re-enable this option on IIS.

Even though I enable anonymous i get prompted for authentication and everything works as expected ..

However I tried switching back to desktop application and I can install but still receive the error when running before i even finish entering my credentials

Sunday, March 23, 2014 3:23 PM
  • Hi,

Do you right click your LS desktop app, and choose Property to set Access Control.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Edited by Angie Xu Monday, March 24, 2014 8:42 AM
    Monday, March 24, 2014 8:40 AM
  • Yes all this setup is correct when published as a web application windows autentication works as expected.    However when I publish as a desktop application I get the error posted above.

HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM Component.

Monday, March 24, 2014 11:35 AM
  • Hi Zoldy

administer permissions more easily by adding users to security groups in Active Directory and then assigning permissions to those groups. You can learn relevant LightSwitch authentication procedure below.             

Hope it helps.

Regards

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Tuesday, April 1, 2014 1:29 AM
    Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:04 AM