none
Seller Dashboard - Tax Forms RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.  I created a Seller Dashboard account to sell apps for purchase.  I'm a US citizen, so I have to fill out a W-9 tax form.  However, I'm a resident of Canada, so I have a Canadian address.  The W-9 online form only accepts US State and ZIP Codes (I need to enter a province and Postal Code format).  How do I fill out the W-9 so that I can start selling apps?  Thanks.
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 6:31 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Sorry for the delay. For this case please contact the support team by clicking on the Support link at the top of your Seller Dashboard. On the next page, select the Microsoft Help link under “Get support online.” On the support page select, Problem type:  General Dashboard questions. From there you will have the option to Request a call, Start a chat or submit an email case for review. Once the support team receives your service request, they can work with you on an individual basis to resolve this issue.

We hope to get you up and running and look forward to seeing you apps in the Office Store soon!

Best regards,

Jes Brown

• Proposed as answer by JesBModerator Monday, March 18, 2013 5:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by BradleyG Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:27 PM
    Friday, March 15, 2013 9:08 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Did you set your Seller Dashboard account as an individual account? Also, which country did you register your account in?

Best regards,

Jes Brown

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:29 PM
  • Hi Jes.

I created my Seller Dashboard account as an individual account, and I registered the account for Canada because I'm a resident of Canada.  However, I am a US citizen so I have to file US taxes every year.  Also, for IRS purposes I'm a 'US Person' because of my citizenship.  I'm fairly certain I need to fill out the W-9 in my situation.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 9:20 PM
  • Hi,

You may want to consult a tax professional regarding what types of information you will need to provide to the IRS as a US Citizen. Also you could try reaching out to tax experts that can be reached through the IRS website that is linked below: IRS - Help & Resources

Some additional information about taxes is available in the Office Store Application Provider Agreement

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jes Brown

Office Store

• Proposed as answer by JesBModerator Wednesday, March 13, 2013 5:59 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by BradleyG Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:58 PM
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 5:59 PM
  • Hi Jes.  Thanks for the links.

I'm sure I need to fill out the W-9.  The problem is that the W-9 electronic form on the Seller Dashboard forces a US address (city and zip code).  It won't accept a foreign address.  Since I can't fill out the W-9 online, the Seller Dashboard won't let me sell an app in the store.

Let me break down the Seller Dashboard process:

1) Log in to Seller Dashboard, it says "Tax Information Needed" with a link to "Update Tax Information"

2) I click "Update Tax Information" and it says "Please check here if any of the following apply to you:"  I check the box because I'm a "US Citizen".

3) The electronic W-9 opens up.  I try to enter my Canadian Province and Postal Code.  The form says that the Zip Code is an invalid format.  (US Zip Code = 00000, Canadian Postal Code = A0A 0A0).

4) I get rejected back to the Seller Dashboard which says "You have not updated your tax profile. You are not eligible to receive payments."

I have not had a US address for years, and I can't use my Canadian address in the electronic W-9.  How can I publish apps for sale in the Office Store if I can't fill out the W-9 electronically?  Can I send a paper W-9 to Microsoft to be able to sell apps?

Thanks again for your continued assistance with this.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:22 PM
  • Hello,

Sorry for the delay. For this case please contact the support team by clicking on the Support link at the top of your Seller Dashboard. On the next page, select the Microsoft Help link under “Get support online.” On the support page select, Problem type:  General Dashboard questions. From there you will have the option to Request a call, Start a chat or submit an email case for review. Once the support team receives your service request, they can work with you on an individual basis to resolve this issue.

We hope to get you up and running and look forward to seeing you apps in the Office Store soon!

Best regards,

Jes Brown

• Proposed as answer by JesBModerator Monday, March 18, 2013 5:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by BradleyG Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:27 PM
    Friday, March 15, 2013 9:08 PM
  • Thanks again.  For other US Citizens living abroad who might read this post, here is what I did based on advice from the support team.

1) I was able to fit my address, postal code, and country into the first address line

2) I was able to enter my city and province into the city/state fields

3) For zip code, I entered 00000

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:26 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for the info. I learned something myself! 

Best regards,

Jes Brown

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:42 PM