Updater for application RRS feed

• Question

• User1188529564 posted

Hello! I have a msi instuller(was made using WiX) and I need to update my application from server. I've read about Update Application Block, but it use old version of framework and VS 2003. Updater should be as msi file so ClickOnce I cant use. Any suggestions?

Thursday, January 14, 2010 6:42 AM

Answers

• User1759999623 posted

First, take a look at this article: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20051103.asp

Next, ClickOnce works with an available web server.  It does not have to be on the Internet.  In fact, many companies use an internal web server to deploy applications using ClickOnce since they restrict Internet access for their users.

Lastly, ClickOnce can be used to bypass local administrator restrictions on your users' computers.  Even if you could pull down your MSI to the client computer, you still need the permission to install it on the local machine.  This would then allow for your users to install any program on their computers if you are trying to automate.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, January 15, 2010 9:58 AM

All replies

• User1759999623 posted

Why are you unable to use ClickOnce? 

Thursday, January 14, 2010 9:45 AM
  • User1188529564 posted

We have msi instuller for our application and as far as i know ClickOnce dosnt work with msi Another reason ClickOnce need internet connection not a server If there is no internet and u can only use server in local network.

Friday, January 15, 2010 2:46 AM
  • User1188529564 posted

if i can update application what was instulled by msi and can update without need to be connected to the internet it will be great I cant publish application using ClickOnce I have to use msi

Friday, January 15, 2010 2:58 AM
  • User1759999623 posted

First, take a look at this article: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20051103.asp

Next, ClickOnce works with an available web server.  It does not have to be on the Internet.  In fact, many companies use an internal web server to deploy applications using ClickOnce since they restrict Internet access for their users.

Lastly, ClickOnce can be used to bypass local administrator restrictions on your users' computers.  Even if you could pull down your MSI to the client computer, you still need the permission to install it on the local machine.  This would then allow for your users to install any program on their computers if you are trying to automate.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, January 15, 2010 9:58 AM