none
VS Community 2015 has stopped working

Question

• VS Community 2015 with Update 3 was working until yesterday. Now, whatever project I load, whenever I start the build and run, I get a Windows message "VS 2015 has stopped working".

I tried a repair, and the repair finishes with:

VS Enterprise 2015 package failed

VC++ 2015 redist x64 another version already installed

VC++ 2015 redist x86 another version already installed

Problem is still there.

Then I did an uninstall using:

vs_community.exe /uninstall /force

Followed by a re-install. The install finished with:

VS Enterprise 2015 package failed

Problem is still there. I have the log files, but I don't see how to add them to this question.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Monday, January 23, 2017 3:20 AM

Answers

• Hi MalcolmPordes,

Could you please try to download a healthy ISO file of VS 2015 form VS downloads, run it as administrator and choose ‘Repair’?

BTW, did you install any windows updates before this issue appear? You can have a look at the windows update and remove it once you found to troubleshot this issue.

To excludes the other software on the computer, please perform a clean boot follow the steps from here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135 then re-run the VS as administrator and check this issue again.

If you VS connect to TFS or any others, you can try to disconnect and check this issue again.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 7:12 AM

All replies

• Hi MalcolmPordes,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

>> Problem is still there. I have the log files, but I don't see how to add them to this question.

You can use http://aka.ms/vscollect to gather the installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.zip under %temp% folder then upload the file to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

>> VC++ 2015 redist x64 another version already installed

Please go to Control Panel—Programs and Features and check if there have the higher version about this Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable, if they are existing, you can ignore this error message, since the version shipped with VS 2015 is lower than it, so they are cannot to install.

>> Community 2015 with Update 3 was working until yesterday.

Did you install any update or extension for VS recently? Please have a try with the following to troubleshot this issue:

1. Delete or rename the following folders:

•C:\Users\<your users name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0

•C:\Users\<your users name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0

2. Please open an administrative CMD window and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE and run the following commands and after each command, open VS to check this issue again:

• devenv /resetuserdata: clean up the old user data
    • devenv /resetsettings: reset the customized setting to the default setting, if you want to keep the current setting, you need to export it before resetting it, please go to Tool-Import and Export Settings…
    • devenv /safemode: run the VS with safe mode, if this works fine, which means one or some installed extensions affect this issue, go to Tools-Extension and updates-Installed, remove the installed extension one by one to find the culprit.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 23, 2017 9:53 AM
  • Hi Sara,

Thanks so much for the prompt and detailed reply.

I followed all your recommendations. VS does not stop working in safe mode,

I removed all the extensions that were un-installable, but the problem is still there in normal mode.

I noticed that before Windows displays the "VS 2015 has stopped working", there is a VS diagnostic tools window that displays "Microsoft VS is collecting data". I don't know if that is significant.

The projects I have in VS are all WPF C# Windows desktop projects.

Here is the link to vslogs.zip:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao48uXxIwfytgY4e6aGQW17MRNLN_A

I hope that my reply and the logs will enable you to help me further.

Thanks.

Monday, January 23, 2017 7:32 PM
  • Hi Sara,

Looking through the activitylog.xml file that I sent you, I see two entries with the description "Construction of frame content failed" at the end of the log.

Do these indicate a problem? I don't know how to interpret them.

Thanks.

Monday, January 23, 2017 11:09 PM
  • Hi MalcolmPordes,

Thank you for your update.

If you create a new WPF project and directly build or run, this issue still persists or not?

Please run the command: devenv /resetaddin to have a test.

BTW, did you reinstall the VS 2015 using the web installer or ISO file?

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 10:14 AM
  • Hi Sara,

Thanks again for your reply.

I tried creating a new WPF project, but I get the same error message.

When I enter devenv /resetaddin, I get an "unknown switch" error message.

I always install VS 2015 using the web installer.

I notice that when I open Blend, I get a blank window, and the "Blend has stopped working" error message.

I hope my answers help.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 9:38 PM
  • Hi MalcolmPordes,

Could you please try to download a healthy ISO file of VS 2015 form VS downloads, run it as administrator and choose ‘Repair’?

BTW, did you install any windows updates before this issue appear? You can have a look at the windows update and remove it once you found to troubleshot this issue.

To excludes the other software on the computer, please perform a clean boot follow the steps from here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135 then re-run the VS as administrator and check this issue again.

If you VS connect to TFS or any others, you can try to disconnect and check this issue again.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, January 26, 2017 7:12 AM
  • Hi Sara,

Thanks again for your reply.

Before I read your reply, I installed VS from the ISO. The problem didn't change.

Then I followed your last instructions, and did a Repair from the ISO, running as Administrator. This time the problem has gone away. Maybe the key was to do the installation as Administrator?

Anyway, everything is back to normal, and I appear to have no more issues.

Thanks so much for your help.

Saturday, January 28, 2017 7:43 PM
  • Hi MalcolmPordes,

I'm so glad to hear that your issue is solved and thank you for your sharing.

Bes regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Monday, January 30, 2017 2:05 AM