Azure stack GA deployment kit shutdown / startup sequence for Management VM's RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Friends,

Please share the Azure stack GA deployment kit  shutdown / startup sequence for Management VM's. Due to maintenance activity i am suppose to shutdown the Physical host for some time.  

I can see the below management VM's in Stack Box. I am running this entire setup in one Physical Server. 

AzS-ACS01
    AzS-ADFS01
    AzS-BGPNAT01
    AzS-CA01
    AzS-DC01
    AzS-ERCS01
    AzS-Gwy01
    AzS-NC01
    AzS-SLB01
    AzS-Sql01
    AzS-WAS01
    AzS-WASP01
    AzS-Xrp01

Regards

Velmurugan N

Friday, December 8, 2017 6:10 AM

Answers

• Hello,

The ASDK will initiate the correct startup procedure If the ASDK is shutdown using the ‘Stop-AzureStack’ command from the Protected Endpoint (PEP) .

### Reboot ASDK

$ip = "AzS-ERCS01"

$pwd= ConvertTo-SecureString "<CHANGE ME>" -AsPlainText -Force # Your AzS Service Admin Password

$cred = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential ("AzureStack\CloudAdmin", $pwd)

$psSession = New-PSSession -ComputerName $ip -ConfigurationName PrivilegedEndpoint -Credential $cred

Invoke-Command -Session $psSession  {Stop-AzureStack}

if($psSession)

{

Remove-PSSession $psSession

}

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your time and interest in Azure Stack.

If you experience any issues with Azure Stack or the current ASDK release, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks

Gary Gallanes

Friday, December 8, 2017 7:39 PM
  • In case if you need to do this manually, here are the steps:

1. Use the following order when shutting down VMs:

WAS01, WASP01, Xrp01, ACS01, CA01, ADFS01, ASQL01, Gwy01, SLB01, NC01, BGPNAT01, ERCS01, DC01.

Note that DC01 is the final VM to be shut down. This is to ensure auth for service accounts is maintained during shutdown process.

2. To start, process with the reverse order. It's import that a pause of at least 60 seconds is added between start of each VM to ensure the services running on top of them are running before next VM is started.

• Marked as answer by Velmurugann Friday, February 23, 2018 5:59 AM
    Monday, December 18, 2017 3:30 AM

All replies

• Hello,

The ASDK will initiate the correct startup procedure If the ASDK is shutdown using the ‘Stop-AzureStack’ command from the Protected Endpoint (PEP) .

### Reboot ASDK

$ip = "AzS-ERCS01"

$pwd= ConvertTo-SecureString "<CHANGE ME>" -AsPlainText -Force # Your AzS Service Admin Password

$cred = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential ("AzureStack\CloudAdmin", $pwd)

$psSession = New-PSSession -ComputerName $ip -ConfigurationName PrivilegedEndpoint -Credential $cred

Invoke-Command -Session $psSession  {Stop-AzureStack}

if($psSession)

{

Remove-PSSession $psSession

}

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your time and interest in Azure Stack.

If you experience any issues with Azure Stack or the current ASDK release, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks

Gary Gallanes

Friday, December 8, 2017 7:39 PM
  • In case if you need to do this manually, here are the steps:

1. Use the following order when shutting down VMs:

WAS01, WASP01, Xrp01, ACS01, CA01, ADFS01, ASQL01, Gwy01, SLB01, NC01, BGPNAT01, ERCS01, DC01.

Note that DC01 is the final VM to be shut down. This is to ensure auth for service accounts is maintained during shutdown process.

2. To start, process with the reverse order. It's import that a pause of at least 60 seconds is added between start of each VM to ensure the services running on top of them are running before next VM is started.

• Marked as answer by Velmurugann Friday, February 23, 2018 5:59 AM
    Monday, December 18, 2017 3:30 AM