none
Win10Iot Core (+) .net core RRS feed

• Question

• I'm creating iot app as a proof of concept.
    My target hardware is pc with intel atom processor.
    Generally the app will be responsible for running multiple background tasks connecting with some web-services, streaming videdo and writting diagnostic data do sqllite db.
    I was thinking about installing windows 10 iot core on this pc and installing .net core 2.2 runtime.
    I found this challenging since there is little info about developing in .net core under win10iot core (only UWP) and also about installing win10iot core on intel atom pc devices.
    Is it the right choice ? or maybe i should not go this way ?
    Saturday, December 29, 2018 2:05 PM

Answers

• Hello js_indy,

In this topic, Rita provided the way about how to install Winodws IoT Core on intel atom pc devices, and .net core 2.2 supports on x64 platform. The choice is right, but as you mentioned there are few documents about how to develop in .net core under win10iot core, at least i can not find other microsoft official document described for that except this article, but it is about ARM32 platform, you can refer to this document.

When you want to develop .net core 2.2 app on windows iot core, you need to set the publish runtime, copy the build files to the device, and run/debug the app manually.

BTW, I'm interesting with that why you want use .net core on Windows IoT Core while do not want use UWP on it.

Best Regard,

Michael

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by js_indy Friday, January 4, 2019 11:36 AM
    Monday, December 31, 2018 9:27 AM
  • Hello Jurek,

You can use Remote Debugger tool to debug the .net core on Windows IoT Core.

Please refer to following steps:

• Install the Visual Studio 2017 Remote Debugging tools;
    • Start Visual Studio Remote Debugger in Device Portal on Windows IoT Core;
    • Allow the port in firewall on Windows IoT Core via powershell connection
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Remote Debugger" dir=in protocol=TCP localport=8116 action=Allow
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Remote Debugger Out" dir=out protocol=TCP localport=8116 action=Allow
    • Confirm the firewall settings on my dev PC to ensure that it is not blocking traffic for Visual Studio 2017 Remote Debugging tools.
    • Open the remote debug tool on visual studio( Debug-> Attach to Process), and then select Connection type as Remote, Connection target as the IP address/host name of your device.
    • Select the .net core app process and attach. Now, you can remote debug the .net core app running on Windows IoT Core.

Best Regards,

Michael

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 7, 2019 2:14 AM

All replies

• Hello js_indy,

In this topic, Rita provided the way about how to install Winodws IoT Core on intel atom pc devices, and .net core 2.2 supports on x64 platform. The choice is right, but as you mentioned there are few documents about how to develop in .net core under win10iot core, at least i can not find other microsoft official document described for that except this article, but it is about ARM32 platform, you can refer to this document.

When you want to develop .net core 2.2 app on windows iot core, you need to set the publish runtime, copy the build files to the device, and run/debug the app manually.

BTW, I'm interesting with that why you want use .net core on Windows IoT Core while do not want use UWP on it.

Best Regard,

Michael

• Marked as answer by js_indy Friday, January 4, 2019 11:36 AM
    Monday, December 31, 2018 9:27 AM
  • Michael, you asked why .net core and not UWP:

• I’ve got some experience with .net core.
    • .net core is portable so if i want to change the os, there should not be problem to run the app as long as  the os it supported by .net core.
    • .net core is written from scratch, so I guess is faster with low memory footprint and better performance than UWT.

The only thing that is missing as I went through MSDN docs is debugger support for .net core on Windows IOT Core.

If you have some more thoughts I would like to hear it - maybe I will switch to UWT, right know I’m more to .net core.

BR,

Jurek

Friday, January 4, 2019 11:36 AM
  • Hello Jurek,

You can use Remote Debugger tool to debug the .net core on Windows IoT Core.

Please refer to following steps:

• Install the Visual Studio 2017 Remote Debugging tools;
    • Start Visual Studio Remote Debugger in Device Portal on Windows IoT Core;
    • Allow the port in firewall on Windows IoT Core via powershell connection
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Remote Debugger" dir=in protocol=TCP localport=8116 action=Allow
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Remote Debugger Out" dir=out protocol=TCP localport=8116 action=Allow
    • Confirm the firewall settings on my dev PC to ensure that it is not blocking traffic for Visual Studio 2017 Remote Debugging tools.
    • Open the remote debug tool on visual studio( Debug-> Attach to Process), and then select Connection type as Remote, Connection target as the IP address/host name of your device.
    • Select the .net core app process and attach. Now, you can remote debug the .net core app running on Windows IoT Core.

Best Regards,

Michael

Monday, January 7, 2019 2:14 AM