none
Is Rx only for event-based coding, and if so, how useful is it?

Question

• Please pardon what may be a dumb question, but I just started looking at Rx, and whilst being impressed with it, I'm not sure how much use I would make of it.

I've been reading Lee Campbell's Introduction To Rx online, and it looks like Rx is an improvement to event-based coding, ie where you have code that sits around waiting for events and reacts to them.

Now I don't really do much of that. Most of my coding is either service layer (pull data out of a database, optionally do things to it and then send it out over the wire, or accept data in and save it to the database) or in an MVVM view model, where I rarely use events. Most stuff in a view model is done with commands or messages. I realise that both of these use events under the covers, but unless I'm to abandon the MVVM framework I'm using and write my own framework based around Rx (not a very good idea!), then I don't see where I would use Rx.

As I said, I only just started looking at Rx, so it may be that I just haven't got far enough yet, but I'd like to know if this stuff is going to be useful to me before I invest too much time in it.

Any comments appreciated.

Sunday, April 15, 2018 5:01 PM