Project settings get reset when copying project! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I copy-pasted the whole directory of my Visual Studio Project on Google Drive (vs folder included).

When I download the uploaded project from Google Drive back to my computer and open it... I see compilation errors... and in fact it turns out my project properties are empty!

Linker options... C/C++ options... Additional Include libraries... things like that... empty! Like a new project...

Does someone know the reason?

Friday, July 5, 2019 8:42 PM

Answers

• Hi gedamial,

Thanks for your feedback and after testing, I found this issue relates to the Google Drive.

I tried to upload the same solution to Google drive and https://onedrive.live.com/, download them and unzip, open them in VS 2019 16.1.3, the google drive sample meet the error message like 'The selected file is not a valid solution file', I suppose it due to the following file be renamed after the project be downloaded:

Meanwhile, the folder that downloaded from Google drive is read only and I want to copy or rename the above file, but failed with the denied error.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by gedamial Tuesday, July 16, 2019 5:46 PM
    Monday, July 15, 2019 9:36 AM

All replies

• I would recommend using some form of source control to transfer projects from one computer to another.   You get a free github or azure dev ops account for this.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/devops/?nav=min

https://github.com/

Saturday, July 6, 2019 9:30 AM
  • That's the same thing.

When creating a new repository and when pushing the files... when I clone the project back into my computer the Project settings are gone!

Saturday, July 6, 2019 10:29 AM
  • Hi gedamial,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Did this issue only happens for the specific project or all C++ projects? If you add another includes libraries and this issue persists or not? It is better to share more detail information and that will help us analysis this issue.

BTW, what's your VS version?

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, July 8, 2019 9:31 AM
  • Did this issue only happens for the specific project or all C++ projects? If you add another includes libraries and this issue persists or not? It is better to share more detail information and that will help us analysis this issue.

Hi. 

I'm using Visual Studio 2019 and I dragged my whole Visual Studio Project folder into Google Drive.

Then, after the upload, I download it again in my computer and when I open the solution it says...

But that file is inside the original folder... why doesn't it get transferred? -.-

• Edited by gedamial Monday, July 8, 2019 10:52 AM
    Monday, July 8, 2019 10:50 AM
  • Hi gedamial,

Thanks for your update.

If you directly create a new C++ project and test it, does this issue persists or not? If not, could you please share the detail steps to reproduce this issue and I will follow it to test on my computer, thanks for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Sara

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 7:27 AM

• If you directly create a new C++ project and test it, does this issue persists or not? If not, could you please share the detail steps to reproduce this issue and I will follow it to test on my computer, thanks for your cooperation.

Yes, the issue persists with a new project.

You don't even need to mess with Additional Include Directory options...

Create a new empty C++ project

Drag the entire project folder straight to Google Drive

After the upload is completed, download the project again and open the solution.

This is what happens:

Thursday, July 11, 2019 6:01 PM
  • Hi gedamial,

Thanks for your detail information.

Could you please share your VS version? Please go to Help-About Microsoft Visual Studio to check it, I will try to follow your description to test it on my side.

Does this issue just happens recently?

Best regards,

Sara

Friday, July 12, 2019 9:38 AM
  • Hi gedamial,

Thanks for your detail information.

Could you please share your VS version? Please go to Help-About Microsoft Visual Studio to check it, I will try to follow your description to test it on my side.

Does this issue just happens recently?

Best regards,

Sara

The version is 16.1.1 (Visual Studio 2019)

I never tried to copy/paste directly to Google Drive, so I can't tell if this has always been an issue or not.

Friday, July 12, 2019 11:43 AM
  • Hi gedamial,

Thanks for your feedback and after testing, I found this issue relates to the Google Drive.

I tried to upload the same solution to Google drive and https://onedrive.live.com/, download them and unzip, open them in VS 2019 16.1.3, the google drive sample meet the error message like 'The selected file is not a valid solution file', I suppose it due to the following file be renamed after the project be downloaded:

Meanwhile, the folder that downloaded from Google drive is read only and I want to copy or rename the above file, but failed with the denied error.

Best regards,

Sara

• Marked as answer by gedamial Tuesday, July 16, 2019 5:46 PM
    Monday, July 15, 2019 9:36 AM
  • Meanwhile, the folder that downloaded from Google drive is read only and I want to copy or rename the above file, but failed with the denied error.

Best regards,

Sara

So basically there's no real solution to this, since it's Google's problem, right?

(I'm voluntarily excluding source control...)

• Edited by gedamial Monday, July 15, 2019 5:06 PM
    Monday, July 15, 2019 5:06 PM
  • Hi gedamial,

Sorry to say that you are right, may be you can consider use OneDrive to store your code, thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 1:46 AM
  • Hi gedamial,

Sorry to say that you are right, may be you can consider use OneDrive to store your code, thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Thank you very much for the great support!
    Tuesday, July 16, 2019 5:46 PM