Azure Data Factory - Get a List of Files but ignore folders RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Using a 'Get Metadata' component I have successfully retrieve a list of "files and folders" from an on-premise folder.

The list contains 'files' and 'folders' - the 'folders' in the list is causing an issue in later processing. I process the file/folder list in a 'ForEach' loop (@activity('Get Source File List').output.childitems)

I simply want to ignore folders when creating the list or ignore them during processing - how do I do this in Data Factory?

Regards

Ian

Thursday, August 15, 2019 8:49 AM

All replies

• Hello Ian,

In order to avoid folders, you can use a 'Filter Activity' between GetMetadata activity and For Each Activity then have a condition in Filter Activity to skip folders. 

You can have a expression as below to achieve your requirement.

Expressions for Filter Activity and condition: 

Items: @activity('Get Metadata1').output.childItems

Condition: @not(contains(item().type, 'Folder'))

Hope this helps.

Additional info:
    To explore about Filter Activity, please refer to this doc: Filter activity in ADF

Thursday, August 15, 2019 8:25 PM
  • Hi,

I am still having trouble with this.

In the 'For Each Loop' I have a copy activity (copy file(s) from on premise to ADL) then a delete activity (delete the source on premise file after the copy). The below screen shot shows how I refer to the filtered (folder filtered out) in the 'For Each Loop'...

The 'Copy Activity' in the 'For Each Loop' still refers to a 'folder' and thinks it's a 'file' - the pipeline then throws an error, message shown below... 

• Edited by Caz71 Sunday, August 18, 2019 10:38 AM
    Sunday, August 18, 2019 10:32 AM
  • Hi there,

Just checking to see if the above suggestion answered your query? 

Thank you

If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post and/or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered and/or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.

Monday, August 19, 2019 4:55 PM
  • Hi Ian,

Just checking in to see if the above suggestion was helpful. If this answers your query, please consider to click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote, as it might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know.

Thank you

If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post and/or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered and/or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 5:43 PM