none
Receiving SAP IDOC's without using the SAP-adapter RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have a scenario where we want  to receive SAP IDOC's messages from a customer using FTP. Becaus of security issues we will not be able to get a connection to the customers SAP-system using the SAP-adapter.

Can we use the SAP-adapter to create the necessary IDOC's by connecting to the to SAP-system once, and then develop a solution that imports them using the files from FTP, and get them into BizTalk for further processing?

Back in the old days I did project where we created flat file schemas for the IDOC's and got a solution running, but creating the IDOC schemas from scratch is not an option this time.

Thanks,

Anders H.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:59 PM

Answers

• It is a tricky situation - I am not sure if the generated schemas from the SAP adapter can really be used with out it. I generated schemas on a recent BizTalk / SAP adapter project and looked back at them and they imclude references to SAPBinding schemas and System.ServiceModel (WCF) namespaces. So I am pretty sure you cannot reuse the generated schema with FTP.

Just thinking about it, if you used FTP, you would have to use a pipeline that would interact with the SAP binding logic or use an orchestration that referenced the SAP binding assemblies and loaded the file from FTP so that it was matched up with the SAP schema. I do not know if this is technically possible or supported.

You might try going the SAP Enterprise Services route and generate the more generic schemas using the add web reference or Consume web service wizard approach. This would give you more generic schemas without all the extra baggage of the SAPBinding imports. 

Thanks, 
    If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:30 PM

All replies

•   It should be possible.

Create the schemas using the SAP adapter and add them to your biztalk project, just the way you would do if you use a SAP-adapter for receiving IDOC. After deploying the solution, create a receive location which will receive the IDOC using FTP instead of the SAP-adapter.
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:22 AM
  • Hi,
    I've had the exact same siutation:
    But the SAP (technical) team itself was able to provide the necessary schemas.
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 10:04 AM
  • It is a tricky situation - I am not sure if the generated schemas from the SAP adapter can really be used with out it. I generated schemas on a recent BizTalk / SAP adapter project and looked back at them and they imclude references to SAPBinding schemas and System.ServiceModel (WCF) namespaces. So I am pretty sure you cannot reuse the generated schema with FTP.

Just thinking about it, if you used FTP, you would have to use a pipeline that would interact with the SAP binding logic or use an orchestration that referenced the SAP binding assemblies and loaded the file from FTP so that it was matched up with the SAP schema. I do not know if this is technically possible or supported.

You might try going the SAP Enterprise Services route and generate the more generic schemas using the add web reference or Consume web service wizard approach. This would give you more generic schemas without all the extra baggage of the SAPBinding imports. 

Thanks, 
    If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:30 PM

• Ben Cline1 said:

It is a tricky situation - I am not sure if the generated schemas from the SAP adapter can really be used with out it. I generated schemas on a recent BizTalk / SAP adapter project and looked back at them and they imclude references to SAPBinding schemas and System.ServiceModel (WCF) namespaces. So I am pretty sure you cannot reuse the generated schema with FTP.

Thanks for the warning. I guess you are talking about the "Microsoft WCF LOB Adapter for SAP"?

There is another adapter called "Microsoft BizTalk Adapter 3.0 for mySAP Business Suite (SAP Adapter)". Are generated schemas from this adpater also adding a lot of references to non-IDOC fields?

Regards
    Anders H
    Friday, March 13, 2009 7:54 AM
  • In which format does the FTP send out IDOC?
     I pressume , the IDOC will be received in Flat File Format from the FTP. If this is the case, then you can use the Binding Propery exposed by the "Microsoft WCF LOB Adapter for SAP" -  GenrateFlatFileCompatibleIDoc Schema(It is set to true by dafault). The IDOCs genrated with this property enabled genrates  schemas decorated with the 

<xs:annotation>
        <
    xs:appinfo>
            <
    recordInfo >
                "Data Needed by Flat File Disassembler"        
            </recordInfo>
        </
    xs:appinfo>
    </
    xs:annotation

tags. 

These tags can be used by a Flat-File disassembler pipeline component to  convert the IDOC into a fully qualified XML  conforming to the schema genrated by the SAP-adapter.

You can build a custom pipeline(and use the Flat-File Disassembler pipeline component in it ) and use this pipeline component to receive the IDOCs from SAP.

Friday, March 13, 2009 9:08 AM
  • Sorry, I assumed you were talking about the WCF SAP adapter as part of the BizTalk Adapter Pack. I should have asked which specific SAP adapter you were using.

Thanks,
    Friday, March 13, 2009 2:25 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I will get more info from the customer soon and will keep you updated about my experiences.

Anders H.
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 8:11 AM
  • Anyone have an update for this? I have the EXACT same situation. I am NOT allowed DIRECT access to the SAP server and must bring in IDOCS from an FTP location. I need to create TWO schemas (both of them are ORDERS). Any solution is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Kev
    Friday, May 29, 2009 10:37 PM